homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Formac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Formac
iGottaMac
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3151

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 16:25      Profile for iGottaMac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

Has anyone come across the company Formac? I am wanting to buy a new HD and DVD+/-RW, both from Formac, becuase they are cheaper than the likes of LaCie... but are they a reputable firm?

Cheers guys,

Ryan.

--------------------
Visit Small Apple and help support a growing Mac community!

Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 20, 2004 17:40      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,

I have bought many peripherals from ForMac, although AFAIK most of their stuff is basically rebadged tech they DO optimise for Mac..

At work I have a ForMac ProNitron 21" CRT, which is basically a rebadged Mitsubishi (but MacUser still gave the Formac a higher rating than the Mitsubishi and other monitors based on it...) and it sings...

I have had many other periphs over the years from them and they have not let me down... However for more mission critical devices like HDs I have always trusted in D2/LaCie. Some on this board don't rate D2/LaCie but I still have 120Mb external SCSI HDs., 230Mb MO drives etc. running impeccabley after 10+ years service...

UK MacUser (the professional users' mag I subscribe to have nothing bad to say about either brand...)

Overall I wouldn't have any concerns over the quality of ForMac kit, but you can always research who actually *manufactures* the guts (after all there are only 3-4 actual builders of HD or CD/DVD drives...) IIRC I once bought an early MO drive that failed - LaCie Branded IBM guts, replaced under warranty with a LaCie Branded Mitsubishi guts with note that IBM had withdrawn from MO drive manufacture....

ForMac is OK in my book. Often amazingly cheap... but not shoddy in my experience...

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 00:15      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Gallery 2010 LCD Screen from them, due to the fact that at that time Apple Displays still shipped with ADC, not DVI interface and by the time you bought the converter so I could also run my PC the price difference was pretty big.

Screen itself is fantastic but the plastic in the rear stand bust after about a year, so one of my colleagues fabricated a new 'temporary' one for me from wood, but that was about six months ago...

Anyway, they are definately not in my list of companies not to buy from. I'm going to be in the market for a large capacity Firewire drive soon too, so post a review if you get the chance.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGottaMac
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3151

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 01:58      Profile for iGottaMac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers for the replys, I think I am going to go with a Formac 160GB HD the, it's only 92.99 and it's white to match my iBook [Big Grin] I will let you know what I think when it arrives...

--------------------
Visit Small Apple and help support a growing Mac community!

Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture