homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Looking for hardware hackers!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for hardware hackers!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 24, 2004 22:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of a research project I'm doing, I'm looking for geeks and artists or others who make wacky stuff out of consumer electronics (like iPods or cameras or other computery stuff), be it art, or functional hacks.

Things like...
iPod battery hack
http://www.drewperry.co.uk/iPod/index.php?page=batterypack

or digital camera on a kite
http://www.engadget.com/entry/4226778466722181/

Anyone do stuff like this, or know of others who do? If so, let me know! [Smile]

[email protected]

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2004 23:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eek ! That iPod battery pack is a really shoddy design. You can't just mix 9V and 1.5V that way.

If you want 12V in a small package, you could just put 8 1.5V AA or AAA alkaline batteries (or 10 1.2V NiMH rechargeables) in a little holder not much bigger than the one shown.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 03:57      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm
I've been thinking about doing something like the camera kite (I have a nikon from '98 that weighs only a few ounces and shoots 800x600). I'll email you when I get some more free time [Razz] (Lately it's been sucked up by SMARTS).

You may want to check out a few of the mods on MacMod, I hear that they have some decent mods, including a car linux mp3 player [Razz]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 05:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno if this is what you're looking for, but these guys are hardware uber-geeks.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 07:13      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i once built a case outta LEGO bricks, and once out of a beer box (bad idea). I've tried to build a mouse out of LEGO bricks but it got cumbersomely large.

Also i have a friend who used two floppy diskettes to encase a red box.
/me looks around suspiciously for chat cops

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 08:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working on BOE I posted to the PARALLAX support forums a bit ( http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris/stamps.htm ), and there are quite a number of people there who are building all sorts of cool things. Among the funniest to me was the mouse trap that is being controlled by a basic stamp... How much tech does it take to catch a mouse...
http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris/stamps.htm

I remeber the redferret posting a lot of differnet hardware art stuff a while back ... including some weird barcode art exhibit where exhibition goers would scan bar codes all over the room to change the lights and sounds and such.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 10:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camera-on-a-kite... is that kinda like the camera-on-a-rocket kind of thing from the late 80s, early 90s? My father built lots of rockets... one of which safely carried a raw egg aloft and back to the ground; the other took a picture up in the sky. I don't know if we ever got that film developed though. Bummer!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 10:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the Estes Cam-Roc myself. The only problem with it was it took special film that you had to send away to get developed, so I never got mine developed either. As I recall, it was also very expensive just for developing one pic. I think they later changed to a standard 110 film cartridge, but I had left model rocketing by then.
Posts: 5849 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 25, 2004 11:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother had an original Estes Cam-Roc, with the weird film format. Later I had the newer version with the 110 film. I actually got it to work, if I find my rocket picture I will post it.

I had lots of fun hacking rockets. I glued whistles on the outside of my Big Bertha so it would whistle as it flew up, and even cooler, as it started the decent. I also played with two stage rockets, giving the second stage booster charge a long delay so that by the time it fired off the first stage, the rocket was no longer vertical. Had some great sideways flights that way! [Eek!]

Tried launching my 8 mm movie camera once.... that wasn't pretty. [cry baby]

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kenndac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3034

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2004 12:26      Profile for Kenndac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made HelmetCam!

-

A nice way to mix an iSight, a PowerBook and bikeriding. In the case of an accident, it would have been very expensive! However, I didn't crash and it was much fun. Full story and lots of pictures here:

HelmetCam

Oh, It's my first post here! I have been lurking for a long time though... anyway, greetings from the UK.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture