homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Uber Geek Car (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Uber Geek Car
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 01:19      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
This isn't old at all. Just last year here in the valley we had a level 5 smog alert and all school districts, Redlands Unified, San Bernardino Unified and all private schools were forced to close.

It really is sad when the air is so bad that you cannot even go outside.

When was this?!?! I don't remember hearing about that in the news last year. I am just over in Hemet and work in Banning. You would think that something like that would be out in the paper and NBC or something.

Oh well I guess ou learn something new every day.

It was in the begining of the scool year, about september last year.

Your really close but your air is so much cleaner than ours over here. I'm in the city of San Bernardino.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 06:05      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jace,

I knew the air was cruddier out there, just didn't realize it was that bad. It's funny though. My house isn't airtight so I think at home or school you are probably getting just as poisoned by the Level 5's.

Did you go to Route 66 this year? I was a bit dissapointed at the turnout. More guys were in from the Corvair club. Which is nice for a Corvair nut like myself. But I remember there used to be a lot more unusual vehicles and a better selection of stands.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 06:50      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Rednivek:
40MPH and a chance to export NAFTA jobs...

Where do I sign up?

Can I export some programming jobs to India while I'm at it?

Signed,
"Detroit lobbyist" who understands economics and that jobs include manufacturing, engineering and profit distribution models.

But pure economists tend to be anti-protectionist, since in (economic) theory it's better for the goods to be produced where it's the cheapest to do it. [Wink]

Unfortunately, economics doesn't solve the problem of people taking advantage of each other, so despite knowing some economic theory, I also lean along protectionist lines, which helps compensate for the sweatshop effect, and discourage outsourcing jobs to third world countries.

Exactly. When you look at the trade deficit then its easy to see.

When you look at the "well, they make my foreign car here" argument it seems at first a good one, except when you realize where the engineering (including computer) is happening, and more importantly where the profits are going. When NAFTA soil manufacturing plants are charged $5000 for a $500 part just to export $$ to the mother land, then you can see where its headed.

Who is affected? Computer engineers, manufacturing engineers, assembly line workers (undercut by cheaper Southern labor), and everyone else with a direct or indirect connection to the auto industry (ice cream man, grocery clerk, etc).

But hey, its a free country and we dont want to be evil protectionists, so people will buy what they want, in the name of MTV/80's generation me-orientation. [shake head]

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 15:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had no experience of them personally, but the few people I know that have tried them out found them very uncomfortable, and unpleasant to drive, which rather took the gloss off their cheeky stylish image. Also you cannot but help feel very vulnerable in one, which is perhaps no bad thing.

I was in Prague for a short trip this weekend and saw a police Smart car there!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 12, 2004 07:21      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(ducks in)

oops, just saw this one too... must... resist... getting drawn in to GC again! [Wink]

I think qf is confusing the Smart with something else - it's not electric, it has a 600-odd cc turbocharged petrol (gasoline) engine, and it is speed-limited but to 84 mph, not 40! That's the UK two-seater model anyway. I haven't driven one but the reviews here generally say it's great around town, less good for eating up the miles at high speeds and the transmission is irritating if you're used to a manual gearbox. I do see a good few of them about though, and some of those pass me on the M56 with the speed limiter evidently maxed out [Big Grin]

The four-seater model looks much more like a conventional small car, with a larger engine, standard gearstick and (AFAIK) no speed limiter. It still looks funky but as far as I can tell it's much more like a conventional 'supermini' along the lines of the Ford Fiesta, Fiat Punto, Renault Clio, Nissan Micra, VW Polo etc (none of which you probably get in Canada so this information may be little use to you).

The Smart brochure says it meets Euro IV emissions rules so I'd be surprised if it failed to meet the US regs, but there may be some particular pollutant where the US (or most likely California) is stricter. I probably have that info somewhere here at work but you guys can find it if you're really keen to know. However, in order to sell it in the US it will have to be 'homologated' i.e. officially approved as meeting all the relevant standards, and that costs money so they won't do it unless they think they'll sell enough to make it worthwhile. If Wired are right, that may happen.

Emissions regs for new cars have been getting stricter and stricter over time but they don't generally apply to cars already on the road.

Red, I'm no defender of offshoring, but I'd bet that more than half the cars sold in Europe are built in Europe by US-owned companies (mostly Ford and GM). Smart is part US owned (Daimler Chrysler). If Detroit is suffering, I don't think it's this lil two-seater guy's fault...

(ducks out)

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2004 08:12      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my civic hybrid out of need for a vehicle with a high fuel efficiency, a reputation for reliability and concern for the environment. Previously, I had owned four domestic cars, a Chevy Nova, a Mercury Marquis, an Oldsmobile Cutlass, and a Buick Regal. So I'd like to state that I have nothing against owning a domestic car. However, at the time of my purchase, there were only 3 cars in the market in which I was interested. All of them contained a hybrid-electric motor produced by Toyota. Those cars were the 2003 models of the Toyota Prius, Honda Insight and the Civic Hybrid. The modern Civic has a reputation for reliability, this was good news to me because the previous four cars broke down often.
I should note that I have not yet been able to compare the reliability of my new car with that of my previous cars since those cars had not a model year later than 1985 and had over 60,000 miles on them.
When I have driven my Civic 60,000 miles, I'll let you know how well it's running.

The free market can work in Detriot's favor. All they need to do is make better cars than the Japanese, Koreans, and Germans.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture