homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » My dream system!

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dream system!
fool6000000001
Geek Larva
Member # 2761

Member Rated:
1
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2004 14:07      Profile for fool6000000001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quad Opteron System.

PC Case: 99.6498
Lian Li PC71 Full Tower Aluminium Case with black finish

Motherboard: 878.582
Tyan Thunder K8QS Pro (S4882)

Processors: 3,643.608
4x AMD Opteron 2.4 GHz (9.6 GHz)

Memory: 9,099.04
16x 2 GB DDR RAM (32 GB)

Mass storage:
RAID 1 with JetStor 146 GB or 300 GB Hard disks?

Graphics:
ATI Rage XL graphics card?

Floppy drive:
Legacy floppy drive (preferably a quiet one!)

Zip drive:
250MB Iomega IDE zip drive?

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive:
ATAPI Plextor PX-708A CD-ROM CD-R DVD-R Drive 150

Monitor:
61" Flat Plasma monitor

Operating Systems:
Debian GNU/Linux

Peripherals:
HP wireless keyboard and mouse (P5304U#ABA)
Ricoh Aficio CL5000 Colour Laser Printer
Epson Perfection 4870 Photo Flatbed Scanner

Other:
1 GB Imation USB Swivel Flash Drive

Not entirely sure of the accuracy or physical possibility of this is, but IMHO it rocks more than the insane system on geek.com! Any improvements?

--------------------
Food is my life. Sleep is my escape.

Posts: 21 | From: The sub-etha | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 06:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I suggest the ATI Radeon X800 XT?

Only $900 USD or so.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 06:59      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't ever seen a plasma monitor capable of delivering a resolution I'd like to use. As a matter of fact, I'm not even all that impressed with the television images on the plasma monitors. However, if you really need a flat TV, they're certainly worth considering.

Also, it's very hard to use a monitor that large for anything other than gaming. I used to have to support a computer which output to a 42" CRT. The curve of the tube was noticeable- you could sort of watch the mouse cursor fly over the horizon if you were close enough to use the keyboard. And you had to move your whole head, not just your eyes, to track it.

So, if I have to do a lot of reading, I'd take a 21" CRT at 1600x1200 over a big plasma screen any day. But what I want is an LCD with a big native resolution (at least as good as the highest HDTV resolutions) and a digital interface with sufficient bandwidth to drive it.

Ooh, IBM Roentgen... :-)

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 07:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually purchased an Audio Authority 9a60 that outputs from my HTPC (a linux box) to my 52" flat screen TV. I output the video at 853x480 @ 60hz (16x9 @ 480p) and use it for gaming and watching DVDs. It looks /way/ better than any DVD player could even consider looking. It's quite amazing. I use Xine and tvtime decoding. Pretty damned impressive.
The screen resolution @ 853x480 doesn't allow a whole helluva lot realestate for running every day applications, but if I do choose to run them, the screen is clean, crisp, and rather sexy.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
3
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2004 15:46      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had servers less powerful than that beastie at work. That said we were a council so we used PII machines for most things. Still a beautiful machine though.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2004 06:20      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At work, we use a pair of 4x1.4GHz P4 servers as a phone switch. One does all the work while the other idles, waiting for the first to fail.

Since we're a call center, I don't actually get to run any distributed computing projects on them. Rats!

Not only that, but I don't get to use the desktop machined out on the floor of the office for any distributed computing. They're all 1.8GHz Celerons, but put 200 of 'em together and you can crunch some numbers! Unfortunately, I had the bright idea (and was able to demonstrate) a way to automatically shut the machines down for the night to save electricity. I'm my own worst enemy, heh.

Back on the subject...

I think my next computing setup at home will be something like this. I get a nice, Linux-friendly laptop. My Linux box at home becomes a file server, and a place to attach a backup device. And I quit messing with it so much! Then I can keep playing with the OS install on the laptop (I really should have clean-installed FC2 instead of upgading from FC1) and not worry about trashing /home.

This is still all conceptual, so I haven't gone as far as speccing out the hardware like fool6000000001.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2004 15:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
Not only that, but I don't get to use the desktop machined out on the floor of the office for any distributed computing. They're all 1.8GHz Celerons, but put 200 of 'em together and you can crunch some numbers! Unfortunately, I had the bright idea (and was able to demonstrate) a way to automatically shut the machines down for the night to save electricity. I'm my own worst enemy, heh.

Hmm, reminds me of what a colleague told me he was doing at a former workplace. They were doing automated testing of the software they were developing, and they achieved this by running a screensaver on all the desktops overnight that actually connected to a controlling machine and ran the tests in a distributed fashion, sort of like the SETI client. Very cool.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 14:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhh, CSK, could you explain that to me? Why would the screensavers be important? Couldn't they just turn off the monitors and let the computers run all night? Or did they have it set up so that the comps would idle for a while and then run when commanded by the master program?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 16:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Uhh, CSK, could you explain that to me? Why would the screensavers be important? Couldn't they just turn off the monitors and let the computers run all night? Or did they have it set up so that the comps would idle for a while and then run when commanded by the master program?

Umm, option B I think. The screensaver client was the slave program, so it was an easy way to ensure it only ran when the machine wasn't being used. Quite elegant, really. They may well have had the monitor powersaving stuff switched on as well, I don't know...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 18:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, on a proper operating system, you wouldn't need to use the nasty screensaver hack to do your number crunching, you'd just run it as a low priority background task.

The system I'm typing this on rarely exceeds 5% CPU usage, even when I'm 'using it', so there's plenty of scope for background number crunching.

</unix geek>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 19:49      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Of course, on a proper operating system, you wouldn't need to use the nasty screensaver hack to do your number crunching, you'd just run it as a low priority background task.

The system I'm typing this on rarely exceeds 5% CPU usage, even when I'm 'using it', so there's plenty of scope for background number crunching.

</unix geek>

Well, true. My current workplace does CPU/memory resource management for both Unix and Windows systems, so that you can set a policy about how CPU and memory are allocated, and then the magic software enforces it. So that would do the job, too [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 20:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
My current workplace does CPU/memory resource management for both Unix and Windows systems, so that you can set a policy about how CPU and memory are allocated, and then the magic software enforces it. So that would do the job, too [Wink]

#include <rant-about-people-who-spam-the-GC-forums-with-commercial-advertising.h> [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 21:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That didn't sound like a plug to me...in fact, if you read it a certain way, he might just be describing magic software their IT/IS guys have in place to control *their* *nix/Win32 boxen.

use pedantic;

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 22:31      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
My current workplace does CPU/memory resource management for both Unix and Windows systems, so that you can set a policy about how CPU and memory are allocated, and then the magic software enforces it. So that would do the job, too [Wink]

#include <rant-about-people-who-spam-the-GC-forums-with-commercial-advertising.h> [Wink]
Touche ! Mind you I didn't name the company, and am probably considered to be an established poster, but anyway [Wink]

Edit: Hmm, it's actually quite tricky to find my company unless you know what you're googling for. Interesting...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 00:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
My current workplace does CPU/memory resource management for both Unix and Windows systems, so that you can set a policy about how CPU and memory are allocated, and then the magic software enforces it. So that would do the job, too [Wink]

#include <rant-about-people-who-spam-the-GC-forums-with-commercial-advertising.h> [Wink]
Touche ! Mind you I didn't name the company, and am probably considered to be an established poster, but anyway [Wink]

Edit: Hmm, it's actually quite tricky to find my company unless you know what you're googling for. Interesting...

Oh yeah, so now it's a challenge is it?
Sorry csk, not taking the bait. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 00:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, foiled again [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam