homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Woah, figured out how to do that thing from Minority Report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woah, figured out how to do that thing from Minority Report
gizmo53
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 19:47      Profile for gizmo53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know those scenes from Minority Report where the guy is using the computer by waving his hands? I think i figured out how to do that...

Question is, where can I find some UWB Radios?

Get four and throw them for example on the four corners of the screen. Then, one per finger, and three for the palm/wrist. Get the UWB radios that are small, and then u can use triangulation to calculate distances.

I always see problems with technology more as problems with software than hardware. Its great if it can tell if your hands are, but useless if its hard to 'grab' things. Same thing with many other things.

Lemme know what you think.

--------------------
Any security that is based upon secrets eventually fails -Steve Jobs

Posts: 17 | From: Darien, CT | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 16, 2003 21:09      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be interesting, How would you stop controlling it (to take your hand off the mouse), to do somthing? I have seen a cool littl IR reflector/reciver set that would let you move your head tco control a mouse, but yuo have to have the reflector sticker on your forehead to use it. Imagine forgetting to take that off before a meeting.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 27, 2003 16:20      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, those gloves are already being made. They are being tested right now, and have been in testing since just before the movie was made. Im guessing that they are having their fare share in bugs if it is taking that long. It was good advertising for them, even if they are not released yet.
Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2003 16:29      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A device that uses IR was made to allow dolphins to use a computer. The dolphin pokes the glass with its snout, and the IR frame around the area determines where the poking occurred.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 00:26      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, you don't need the gloves, just a camera [Smile]
www.toysight.com
while more basic than the system in Minority Report, one of the games in ToySight uses gesture controls with your hands to open and close windows and we've tested scrolling etc.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 28, 2003 05:56      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
toysight is neato [Wink]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 01, 2003 19:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try a Polhemus tracker.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 06:42      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there's the p5...

http://www.essentialreality.com/

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 12:25      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard in some EE trade mag about a company who is making two dimensional holograms, displays that float around like in minority report. Also, It mentioned that input may be possible from the hologram.

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 12:55      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:
That would be interesting, How would you stop controlling it (to take your hand off the mouse), to do somthing? I have seen a cool littl IR reflector/reciver set that would let you move your head tco control a mouse, but yuo have to have the reflector sticker on your forehead to use it. Imagine forgetting to take that off before a meeting.

You wouldn't need to mount a reflector to your head. The military has been tracking what direction pilots are looking by reflecting light off the retina. Also, I read recently (maybe on /.) of a technology that takes the reflection of the cornea to determine what you are looking at.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 13:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also an article on slashdot, probably a few years ago now, where someone said they successfully developed transparent transistors, which would make the monitor-built-into-a-plane-of-glass thing possible too.

Edit: OK, maybe not a few years ago, but...

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture