homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » music math based problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: music math based problem
jifffy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 40291

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 13:34      Profile for jifffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to figure out probably a basic permutation formula. Not great at statistics, so if any one can help, I will be gratefull. This is what it is. If you take a basic pattern, like a rudiment, paradiddle to be exact, is a pattern r, l, r, r. Ok, that is not what is going to make combinations. Take this, for the most part a simple pattern, and put it over a five piece matrix, a drumset, five piece. You can start the pattern on any drum, but you must play the pattern until it terminates. Four stroke pattern over five potential surfaces of drums. With this, what is a formula for a fixed pattern over five different objects. How many combinations are possible with everything I have provided. I need help with the formula, as I want to generate a list of possible combinations in a spreadsheet program in linux mint 9. If I figure out the formula, I can plug in hundreds of different rudiments. If anyone can help me into the light, I would be very gratefull!!!!

Thanks for your consideration!!

JP

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 02:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help, but let me give a quick bump to keep this alive another day.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 05:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
let us simplfy the questions quickly.

how many combinations are possible of 4 surfaces not 5. four beats: four surfaces I think the answer is 16 possible different combinations. ( though that number seems small. )

not to add the fifth surface, but maintain four beats. That fifth surface, can replacing each of teh otehr surfaces once. gives four new surface combinations., five total. So teh total number of combinations possilble would eb the above anser, 16, times the total number so 4 surface combinations possible (5) which is 80 possible four beat combinations possible on five surfaces.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3072 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 09:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing in the question to indicate that a given surface can't be used again for a second beat, so it's simpler than all that.

For a four beat pattern, you have 5 possible surfaces for each beat... 5*5*5*5 = 625 possible patterns.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6355 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 11:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If surfaces can be used more than once, but not twice in a row, then it would be

5*4*4*4=320

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10410 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.