homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Google's new toy for the programming masses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google's new toy for the programming masses
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2009 08:05      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Google have announced a new computer language called Go: http://golang.org/

I haven't looked too closely at it myself, but the syntax doesn't immediately inspire me. What do others think? Could this be the next language taught in college?

At any rate, for some reason, I can't shake the feeling that Taiwanese teenagers will be more skilled at this than a Westerner at any age could hope to be. [Razz]

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2009 09:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good has a tendency to roll things out because they're neat rather than because they're useful. This just looks like a Python-ish Java-ish syntax that a few engineers had cooked up and decided to distribute. While a faster build time is always nice, I'm not sure this is the problem they should be focusing on when trying to design a better language.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2009 20:10      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Rob Pike's internal course in it a few months ago. It is a seriously good language.

But, to be effective in it, you have to remember it is a different language, and not just a tarted up C++ or Java (or Python). While Metasquares says "python-ish syntax", that's not what it borrows from python. What it takes from Python is duck typing (but with enough compile time help to make it really efficient) and closures. These are things neither Java or C++ do well.

Also this is not just "a few engineers". We're talking Rob Pike and Ken Thompson. Did you ever here these guys talk? Scary smart.

But all that aside, the acceptance by the rest of the world is not a goal. Google needed a better language for writing server code than either C++, Java or Python. If Go really brings better performance and quicker development, then it's a huge win, even if it is never adopted by the mainstream.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture