homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » BitTorrent Addresses Closed Source Issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BitTorrent Addresses Closed Source Issues
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 04:31      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BitTorrent Addresses Closed Source Issues

I don't know why, but "There are two issues people need to come to grips with. Developers who produce open source products will often have their product repackaged and redistributed by businesses with malicious intent. They repackage the software with spyware or charge for the product. We often receive phone calls from people who complain they have paid for the BitTorrent client." really seems weak as a reason, given the number of open source projects out there that haven't resorted to doing the same. Maybe it's that BitTorrent crosses the line between geek and average user more than many other open source projects?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2007 20:57      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's weak because it doesn't solve the problem. This is a problem common to file-sharing software. Many closed-source applications have been repackaged by businesses with malicious intent, they just don't do as much modification to the actual application. Users can still get spyware with the malicious copy install process even if the actual application is exactly the same. I haven't heard about software like OpenOffice having this problem.

What they need is BitTorrent Genuine Advantage!

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2007 22:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's simply because Bram Cohen has gotten in bed with the MAFIAA. It's so fscking stupid that he's let things get to this point, but he doesn't seem to understand how distasteful this stuff is. He designed a brilliant protocol, and put *tracking* capabilities right at the heart of it. To address popular demand, projects created 'tracker-less' clients/servers, which obviates the illegal file sharing issues created by tracking IP addresses. More so, a 'sheep' factor has led to everyone and their brother using BT to download (and UPLOAD) lots of [largely copyrighted/illegal] stuff, regardless of whether they're tracked or not... which has clogged the set of tubes that is the Intarweb.

Back when it was a common source for downloading Linux ISOs and the like, I cheered it on as great technology, and a fine demonstration of open source software. Now, I'm completely disappointed.

Good going, Bram - I hope you sleep well at night on that mattress stuffed full of $100 bills.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture