homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Please help!!!!!!!! i would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Please help!!!!!!!! i would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!!
kadd
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4983

Icon 5 posted March 15, 2006 16:58      Profile for kadd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when acceleration = 1.2 m/s squared,and the given mass of a loaded cart= 350kg,what is the force of the loaded cart?

IS IT;
|a = 1.2 m/s squared
|m = 350 kg
|f = ?

==========

f = ma
f = 350 kg x 1.2 m/s squared
f = 420 N (newtons)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

is 5950

kg (times) m

alot when talking about rollarcoasters?? [Confused] [ohwell]

is 14994 J alot when talking about rollarcoaters???

[devil wand]

when ;
(g-force) |G= 2.9
(radius) |r= 22 m
(velocity)|v= ?
|g= 9.8 m/s squared

and this is the problem;

the maximum g-force of the scorpian is 2.9 the radius of the track = 22m
what is the velocity.

is v squared = 20.2??

pleasssssssssse help!!!!!!

--------------------
sfvfawhwht hey

Posts: 1 | From: bhwssfdhb | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 18:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I'm feeling vaguely helpful, so here's some help. Please use fewer exclamation points in the future.

420 Newtons is the correct answer for the first part.

One Newton is 1kg*(1m/1s^2)

I think you're asking if 5950 Newtons, which would be 5950kg*(m/s^2) is a lot. 5950 Newtons could also be expressed as 350 kg*(17m/ s^2). Would accelerating at 17m/s^2 be considered a lot? The answer is subjective. Is it a lot compared to what? (possibly compared to the acceleration of gravity, which you are given in your last problem)

A joule is the kinetic energy of 2 kilograms moving at 1 m/s. If you your cart weighs 350 kg, and has energy of 350 joules of kinetic energy built up, you can determine that the cart must be moving at 0.5 m/s. Using that, you should be able to determine what velocity the cart must be moving at if it has 14994 joules of kinetic energy. Whether that is a lot is, once again I'm afraid, subjective.

This should get you going. I'm going to leave the third question for you to find an answer for on your own (unless someone else cares to help), because I really need to get to bed now. It's been a terribly long, terribly bad day.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 19:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
It's been a terribly long, terribly bad day.

/me gives Steen a long, comforting hug.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 22:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
A joule is the kinetic energy of 2 kilograms moving at 1 m/s. If you your cart weighs 350 kg, and has energy of 350 joules of kinetic energy built up, you can determine that the cart must be moving at 0.5 m/s.

Um, no.
Kinetic Energy = 1/2 m v*v

350 = 1/2 v*v * 350

which makes v = sqrt(2) = 1.414 m/s

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reponse v1.0:
Oops. That'll teach me to post when I'm half dead from exhaustion

Response v2.0:
Oops. That would be a good example for why asking complete strangers to do your homework for you may not be the best idea.

Response v3.0:
Oh well, you get what you pay for.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:47      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wouldnt have thought that if i were halve dead from exhaustion that i would have made such a babys error, so you can come up with as many excuses as you like, you suck at physics!, FINAL!,
I guess you get what you put in...
EDUCATION.

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:55      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
i wouldnt have thought that if i were halve dead from exhaustion that i would have made such a babys error, so you can come up with as many excuses as you like, you suck at physics!, FINAL!,
I guess you get what you put in...
EDUCATION.

BWAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breath*

WAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAA AHAAAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA

OKAY. I'm done with that.

However, I do enjoy how much your post did actually apply to the topic and how much help you did provide for this sad fool who needed some help.

Mag Val, Maybe.Logic, Mag Val

Now on to something a little more productive than feeding a flamer.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 13:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggestion...open your textbook and *READ!*

Also, Google's calculator is probably a bit handy for parts of this.

Blargh.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 19:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn... maybe I do need more edjumacashun. I can't even count the number of spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization errors up there and I have both hands free and my shoes and socks off! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 02:26      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well when you are doing a joint award physics and maths degree there is little need for excellent punctuation and good grammer is there???

Number Downie...

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 02:29      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would also make sense that you could'nt count my spelling errors as it does probally go past three which is a little advanced for you...
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 03:37      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
well when you are doing a joint award physics and maths degree there is little need for excellent punctuation and good grammer is there???

Number Downie...

You are working on a math/physics degree and you need to ask for help on this?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 03:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe.logic wrote:
It would also make sense that you could'nt count my spelling errors as it does probally go past three which is a little advanced for you...

Heh, the fingers and toes comment implies that the count went past 20. 5+5+5+5, you know. I guess your math and physics classes haven't gotten to those advanced number thingies.

Or maybe you were stoned during shop class, had a really bad run in with the table saw and now the fingers and toes thing does end at three for you.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 05:10      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'You are working on a math/physics degree and you need to ask for help on this?'

Hmmmmmm... i think that you should check the first post on this topic and you will find that it was not I who posted this question, i only joined the topic because i noiced that steen... the number downie made quite a crucial mistake...

Reply to steen:... interesting, if you want to see who is the better number cruncher maybe we should have a little competition so i can humiliate you in front of everyone here... how does that sound?

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 05:30      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here you go steen...

http://www.chocolatecityweb.com/arguing.jpg

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 05:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
'You are working on a math/physics degree and you need to ask for help on this?'

Hmmmmmm... i think that you should check the first post on this topic and you will find that it was not I who posted this question, i only joined the topic because i noiced that steen... the number downie made quite a crucial mistake...

Reply to steen:... interesting, if you want to see who is the better number cruncher maybe we should have a little competition so i can humiliate you in front of everyone here... how does that sound?

...Or maybe you can stop bashing on steen and perhpas provide a little bit of help on the subject. You claim he made a crucial mistake and you claim that you are working on a physics degree. Why dont you shine a little light on the subject and quite being such a douche. I understand that information is valuable, but you are in a very "open-minded" atmostphere where we wish to share what we know with each other and those who dont know.

alert(rant);
This is what pisses me off today about ass holes who get their fingertips on a keyboard and go around bashing all those they can.

It is easy for me to say, "You suck. Go die" but honestly, how much effort would it take to just stop and say, instead, "You did that wrong, try this".

I am by no means a physics major, though I was at one point. It wasn't long before I changed my major to MIS because it is what I enjoy, however that did not stop me from reading the post and attempting to provide a little bit of help. When I realized I couldn't help, I didn't immediatly begin attacking everyone else on this forum and if this is all you're going to do, feel free to leave.

A discussion board is a place to come and share information, knowledge, experiences. Not a coral for your gay bashing.

You may claim this and you may claim that, but in the long run, actions speak louder than words.
</rant>

Okay, I'm done. I was bored.

Edit: Okay, I'm not done yet.

So, I've seen from my time around this intrawebbie thingy that some forums look highly upon how much of an elitest you are. The more of a dick you can be to the ignorant guy is accepted because you dont know they guy. In the long run most of those forums turn into blazing flame wars. This one isn't like that. Most of us know each other on a mroe personal basis. Most of us have even met antoher. We've been there for each other during times of need and we've been there for each other during times of glee. Keep it up and it wont be long before you're added to the ranks of the /ignore list and soon enough people will just stop reading your posts.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 06:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
here you go steen...

http://www.chocolatecityweb.com/arguing.jpg

So you're saying you are mentally hadicapped?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 08:58      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe rave, you should give your philisophical speech of wisdom to all of the other arseholes that have taken the piss out of my spelling just because i am dislexic doesnt mean i am stupid i am much better with numbers than i am with words, however...

I do apologise for my behavior on this topic and i understand what you are saying... so, steen i apologise for being rude to you and i hope you except my apology...

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 12:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
maybe rave, you should give your philisophical speech of wisdom to all of the other arseholes that have taken the piss out of my spelling just because i am dislexic doesnt mean i am stupid i am much better with numbers than i am with words, however...

I do apologise for my behavior on this topic and i understand what you are saying... so, steen i apologise for being rude to you and i hope you except my apology...

...wow...

It is odd to actually say something and have someone understand.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition and wish you luck with that. I am a strong believer of strength in mind and faith in ones self. I believe that no matter what the condition, you can work through it and better yourself through proper diet, sleep, physical activity, tolerance of stress and stress relief and keeping a clear mind.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 16:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe.logic wrote:

Well, damn. I guess I should stop trolling you now. Apology accepted and all is forgiven and, if you're going to act decent, I will likewise apologize for treating you as a troll and trolling you in response.

I'm still going to toss this out in respose to the number crunching challenge, though:

A power turbine is showing excessive vibration. The plant manager wants to know if it should be shut down for repair, costing about $20k/hour in lost production for a period of about a day and a half. If you don't shut down and the turbine fails before the next scheduled shutdown, it will be 2 weeks of lost production and about $2 million in repairs (and possibly your job). You have this information to make your decision with:

-

I generally say my job involves technical support, but -that- is the part of the job that my company really pays me for (and is about to hand me a pager and 50% more salary and god only knows how much less sleep in order to have me on call 24/7).

And to anyone else I annoyed with the trollishness: I'll go back to irritating people on cruel.com and go back to playing nice here [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 17:07      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you look at that graph!!??!!?? I'd shut it down immediately.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 19:50      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too opt for immediate repair. From the look of the graph, there seems to be a major and a minor harmonic in the vibrations graph, which I would attribute to an non-negligeable problem having already caused some level of deterioration.

But I must say I know nothing about that, and I used only what few things I know about mechanics of rotative machines and my common sense.

The only other way to look at the situation I know is a risk analysis, and then, some information is missing, like when is the next maintenance due, the probability of the problem degenerating into failure in the mean time, plus the risk of unacceptable consequences in the case of failure (like risk for someone being hurt/killed).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 04:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of interesting to see what other people say. I'm going to hold off on giving the answer until Friday night, but I will give the answer for anyone who is interested.

Stereo is right. There is information missing that I didn't consider because I'm too used to doing this sort of thing.

The point is on a sleeve bearing on the turbine, not the line shaft. The turbine is relatively small (750kW) steam turbine in a seperate building from the rest of the plant. The horizontal spectra was almost identical to the vertical for this bearing. Spectra from other points on the same shaft were not showing abnormally high vibration levels, but looked similar.

There is minimal chance of injury to workers as virtually nobody is allowed in the turbine building while it is in operation. Even then people are present only when absolutely necessary and for the minimum amount of time possible.

The next scheduled maintenance shutdown for this particular machine is, I think, late April or early May.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 05:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh! Now I see! So it looks like the bearing is faulty, probably a ball (or cone? or cylinder?) that has degraded, and its shrapnels deformed a few others to a lesser degree. So that particular ball (and maybe one or two very close) causes the main vibration, as the load isn't carried symmetrically anymore. I can see a risk for the shaft to deform on a mid to long term, but chances are the bearing will jam before (and that could cause a lot of dommage to the shaft). But it's not like a blade from the turbine is about to give up, or the shaft is deforming, both of which could destroy the turbine and its casing.

Still, the graph is alarming: 0,22G of acceleration is a lot of stress, especially at a 82 Hz, and the bearing could degrade fast. (It probably already screams at a hearing level.) I believe replacement will be needed before the next maintenance comes. It may be able to work for a couple of days, a week, maybe, but not a month.

Disclaimer: my mechanical engineering notions are quite rusty, and I have never seen vibration graphs, let alone how to interpret them. So I could be wrong this time.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2006 06:05      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Critical input needed:
Can you spray a little WD40 on the shaft while it's running?

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture