homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Programming A Hexagon Grid With Graphics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Programming A Hexagon Grid With Graphics
Solantey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4918

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 19, 2006 08:57      Profile for Solantey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idea for a new concept similar to the pixel approach. What I hope to have designed is a website where the spaces that are sold is a series of hexagons.When the cursor is moved over the grid the number of the hexagon is indicated which they can then select to purchase. There will be a template on the website that they can use to design graphics for the hexagon shape. The functionality of the site in the other regards would be similar to the million dollar homepage site.

Visit the milliondollarhomepage.com to view the original "pixel" site. My site is based on a grid of 10,000 hexagons - 100 X 100 in size. The number of pixels is irrelevant.

I guess my question is how difficult would in be to build a hexagon grid where graphics could be placed in each hexagon.

Thank you for any input.

Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 09:59      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Translation: I want to get rich quick using an unoriginal scheme whose success was due entirely to its novelty. I'm going to put a "new spin" on it that really isn't all that original, so it's gotta work! And, since I don't know how to do it myself, I'm going to ask some people I don't know, with my first post ever on this forum. Hey guys, wanna help me make some money?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Solantey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4918

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 19, 2006 10:17      Profile for Solantey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously you have no idea how to do it so please don't waste the space and my time by responding. And as for the "original idea" - it is. You're dismissed.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 10:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Open a paint program and draw a hexagon
2) ?????
3) Profit!

Seems easy enough to me

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 12:09      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Solantey:
Obviously you have no idea how to do it so please don't waste the space and my time by responding. And as for the "original idea" - it is. You're dismissed.

Imagemap, Flash, CSS approximation of an image map (with javascript). Take your pick - and stop wasting *our* time and space.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 15:18      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obviously you have no idea how to do it so please don't waste the space and my time by responding.

OK, go read this and then come back and talk to us. You are dismissed.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 15:24      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think most of us here could go to google and type "click polygon html" and figure out how to do Imagemapping

Another way you could probably have figured out how to do this is by looking at the html source for the milliondollarhomepage. If it is too much work for you to do research yourself below is a hint:
code:
 <MAP name="hexagons"> <area COORDS=" x,y, x2,y2, x3,y3, x4,y4, x5,y5, x6,y6" shape="poly"  href="get_rich_quick.html" alt="i am lazy">... etc.
</MAP>

By the way it isn't that we are naturally rude here, but we do expect at least a modicum of effort be put into finding a solution before someone, particularly someone who has never posted before, asks a question. Should you choose to do so, I look forward to you becoming a contributing member of this community.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Solantey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 16:21      Profile for Solantey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. It was very helpful. I am not a programmer. I did view the source codes for the million dollar homepage and saw the method that is used for defining location using the grid. My thought is that since the hexagons are equal in area and the mid point spacing is identical that it would not be too difficult for a programmer to program the operation of the grid. It is amazing the number of "progammers" that have said it is not possible. I would require the same functionality of the mouse being able to display a hexagon number when scrolled over the map. If you (or anyone else) would be interested in programming the site (for $$$$) please let me know. [email protected] Once again - thanks for your insight.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 01:25      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would help, but I think hexagons are boring. This is a lot more interesting... (Flash, NSFW... eventually)
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:22      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is actually pretty cool, in the stricly advertising way....

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:48      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe when they said it wasn't possible, they meant it wasn't possible to make money off of it.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture