homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Ancient technology help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient technology help
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 19:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am lending an old notebook to friend's daughter, so she has a computer for college. Emphasis should be placed on old.

It is an NEC 2000C. It runs Win 95; however it is actually pretty stable and should work for term papers etc. However I have some questions about what we can do to improve it.

My friend, Tim, and I trashed programs today and freed up about 300MB.

Here are my questions or pleas for help

1. Is there an antivirus that can be run on this laptop between the OS and the storage left? (It was never on the net for me. It was a handme down for a cookbook project. So I never got a virus checker.)

2. Is there a browser that will fit and run on 95? If not that is okay. I'm sure she can surf the web elsewhere on campus.

Your help is appreciated!!!

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 19:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IE 5.1 like we use at work would probably run on Win95.

/me runs and hides

/me pops back out of hiding

Actually, my first computer at college was an IBM ThinkPad circa 1995. It had a floppy drive and that's about it. The HD wasn't even a gig, IIRC. I docked it to use the Internet or load something from a CD; both my NIC and my CD drive were in the dock. I ran Win 95, then Win2000 on it. I didn't know about Firefox then, so I used IE 5.x to access the Internet. This setup worked really well until the case disintegrated and screen went out of commission.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 19:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, tricky. Win95 is really old, and if she spends any great amount of time online, it's a fairly big security risk due to not being able to run updated software. I'd seriously consider running some sort of lightweight Linux on there, particularly if she's mainly using it for word processing etc.

If that's not an option, there are things that will lower the risk. Definitely avoid IE/Outlook/etc on that machine, run the Mozilla stuff if it runs on Win95. I'd also whack ZoneAlarm on there, and probably AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, too. Be very careful of the computer's sharing settings, too. Antivirus I'm not sure on, but googleing should reveal a number of free options.

Good luck...

Edit: Firefox doesn't run on Win95, drat. Try Opera instead, apparently it does. Not sure what to use for an email client, since Thunderbird doesn't run on Win95 either.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 19:15      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'll be the first to admit this is not PC of the week, but her folks don't have the money to get her one. I'd like her to have something to use and I have this one to loan.

So all ideas on browsers and virus protection are welcome!!!

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 19:31      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second csk, try sticking some kind of desktop linux on there. All she'll need to be able to do is word processing and email and the like, right? SO it's it's not like you'll need a distro that includes apache and compiler tools and all that stuff. Just something with KDE or GNOME and OO.o.

I think it would be seriously better than running windows 95, both for security and compatibility reasons.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 21:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Not sure what to use for an email client, since Thunderbird doesn't run on Win95 either.

Use webmail? I filtered my psu.edu mail to Yahoo instead of using the school-sponsored Eudora. Less of a hassle. For the few times that I absolutely HAD to send from email.psu.edu, I used Eudora in the labs, but that was maybe a total of five times in my college career.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2005 22:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Linux.

Have a look at Ubuntu linux, it's fairly user-friendly, comes with Open Office (word-proc, spreadsheet, etc), Firefox (browser), Thunderbird (email), and will run just fine on vintage hardware.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 02:12      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yet another vote for linux, but with yeat another distro, if it is that old and has that small a harddrive then I would try using Puppy as that is designed to be somwhat similar to win 95 in terms of looks and size

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 04:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it have enough clout to get up to Win98?

If so then ZoneAlarm, Adaware, Spybot S&D and AntiVir which are all free will all definitely work and all of which are highly recommended and pretty effective.

Just for your info - a quick Google turned up some free e-mail clients some of which are ok for Win95 too.

Otherwise a lightweight Linux I guess (can't help you there I don't really know too much about Linux distros)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 07:13      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Just something with KDE or GNOME and OO.o.

No. Not on an old computer - running a WM like Fluxbox or FVWM or such. And OO.o might be too big to run on an old machine, so I'd suggest AbiWord. Actually, I'm sure there's a distro that's optimized for older machinery ... some googling might bring that up.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 07:37      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Command Line, Vim, Links2, Done. [crazy]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 09:40      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend a small linux distro... the smaller the better, since college students tend to fill their HDs up with whatever they can find.

If software compatibility issues prevent linux, then I'd recommend an NT-based Windows. I don't remember what versions would run on computers of that time, but the main reason I suggest this is that it's likely more compatible with school networks than the 9x software (this is assuming the school has set up a complicated network, which happens at most schools).

Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 10:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu,

If I am not mistaken I believe that model of NEC(depending on the build specs) can support Win 98. But I would be more concerned with the drive capacity. I seriously doubt that it will be substantial enough for the crud that gets onto a computer when online.

That said there are a few linux distro's like 4 disk Linux that might work in that direction. Though IMHO the laptop should just get a good cleanup and be setup as a word processor with an el cheapo printer. Research can be then done at libraries and such. But the papers themselves done on the laptop.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2005 14:41      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu,

How much RAM/HD/MHz is this old Win Laptop? Can you upgrade it? If it is under 64Mb what RAM chips does it take? (I have a bucket full of old RAM - but it is mostly small chips and 72pin and older) Is it worth looking for another similar machine in the "spares & repairs" to break for upgrade parts?

On the software front AbiWord is good (and free), RagTime Solo is free and will run on Win98 and up.

There are lots of other good free programs available for download for old(er) Windows machines like ZonerDraw 3 (vector drawing), Serif Software (whole suite of free applications), etc., etc. Google is definitely your friend on this one.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2005 18:24      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have some good ideas. She is taking what I have up tomorrow to school, but she will bring it home over labour day so we can try some of your suggestions. Serenak, I'll have to look. I dumped all the programs I could. (I had some old LotusNotes on there and a Quicken that I never used.) I didn't have time to upgrade anything. I wish I had bucks to buy her a new one, but I don't. Rats.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture