homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Favourite coding music (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Favourite coding music
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 11 posted August 21, 2004 01:13      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh,

so what is your favourite music to code by? what do you listen to when whacking out some xhtml/vb/c++/crazy language [ada, prolog...]?

i've been listening to some gregorian chants (and no, i don't mean the 'pop' gregorian group, i mean the real stuff), but today i bought some drumming music [taikoz] to try out.

just out of interest, has anyone tried happy hardcore? classical? mediation music?

headphones or in-ear?

ta,

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 03:30      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pioneering guitarist Joe Satriani* - loud, and through headphones so as not to annoy anyone else [Big Grin]

-

It just seems to work, making me do anything, not just coding, faster and more accurately than without. And theres no lyrics to distract you either [thumbsup]

* Would give a link but his website doesn't seem to be working

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 04:20      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aphex Twin through headphones, keeps me awake at 2 in the morning, that and coffee anyways.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 08:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exact opposite of what I would /normally/ listen to. Normally I listen to rock, hard rock, metal, etc.

When I'm coding, I listen to dance, techno, trance, etc. Anything with no words, and preferably lots of bass.

Words distract me from what I'm doing, whereas dance, techno, etc, keep me alert and focused.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 11:19      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to the Journey of the Sorcerer [Big Grin] on loop. It's a good song >_>;
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 11:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm coding (or just tweaking config files), trance, techno, etc. is what I like to listen to.

Odd, as my usual assortment of music is along the lines of The Beatles, The Doors, Phish, Iron Butterfly, or even John Mellencamp and such.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 22:00      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whilst trying to learn perl i love to listen to some ambient trance and some progresive house.

All other langs, I like a good mix of top 40's/hip-hop/rock/alternative and of course some good ol' rave.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 10:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't code (wish I could, but I missed out on that in college [Frown] ), but when I write I stream trance, techno, Mozart's symphonies, and other eclectic stuff to keep me focused. Somehow writing and streaming late at night yields better stuff than when I try to write during the day. Anyone else find that's true for them?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 10:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehehehehe....
Nighttime - it's approved by 9 out of 10 hackers! [Big Grin]

Seriously, this is when some of the best code is written, perhaps mostly due to the peace and quiet enjoyed then, the lack of irritating light, and the inability to see other distractions around you. That, and depending on when you got up, you've had time to think things through, even if only in the back of your mind. Technically, I work from 0900-1700, but some of my best work has been done around 1900, and therefore, if I just chilled out a bit during the day, I feel that I've completely justified it with what would otherwise be hours of work, done in a short period of time. No...that last sentence wasn't written after drinking a really good, strong cup of tea...why do you ask? :shiftyeyes:

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 13:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely work better at night. I think it's mostly due to lack of distractions, and my ability to focus better at night. My sense of logic works better then too for some reason.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 17:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
When I'm coding, I listen to dance, techno, trance, etc. Anything with no words, and preferably lots of bass.

Words distract me from what I'm doing, whereas dance, techno, etc, keep me alert and focused.

I can't listen to music with words when I'm coding either.

Mostly I don't listen to music when coding, but if I am in the mood, I have a collection of instrumental stuff (classical, Mike Oldfield, movie soundtracks. etc) and some folk music in languages other than English. If I can't understand the words, they don't distract me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 18:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It varies for me. Either I go for stuff with no words (trance, classical, whatever), or stuff with words that I know really well (anything from Weird Al to Guns n Roses to Technotronic to Lord of the Rings soundtracks complete with dialogue). Stuff I've haven't listened to a lot isn't good, since I'm trying to work out if I like it, what genre it fits into, what other band it reminds me of, etc, which isn't good when trying to code [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 18:11      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in one of the labs, no music. When at home I often listen to late night talk radio (Coast to Coast AM [Art Bell], or whatever else is on) just because I can tune it out but still hear something besides the click of the keyboard. I will sometimes listen to powerful classical music if I'm rushing a deadline or just in mood (note by powerful classical I mean mainly Romanic and Neo-Romantic music that includes but is not limited to Beethoven 5th (first and last movment), Beethoven 9th (just the Ode), Also Sprake Zarathustra (opening only), Firebird, Oh Fortuna, Ride of the Valkeries, William Tell, March of Athelia (sp?), Procession of the Nobles, Schubert's Unfinished Symphony).
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 18:20      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally code in silence, but this is out of habit. 95% of my code is written during school hours, because, quite frankly, I find it terribly difficult to sit down and write a program that does not address a certain need or problem. So without someone to feed me problems, and because I lack enough knowledge to make myself a word processor or something of the sort to just kill time.

When I write nonfiction, or "forced" fiction that I'm writing for school but care absolutely nothing about, I'll just stick on what in my playlist, be it Disturbed, Styx, Bauhaus, Assemblage 23, the Final Fantasy 8 OST, whatever. Otherwise, I put on music entirely appropriate to the mood of the peice I'm writing. Ideally it's music fitting the character I'm writing for, but if I'm handleing too many of them or I can't find anything good, I'll go for somethin that fits the peice, and then the genre. For me, writing something set in Victorian London while listening to "Sweet Home Alabama" is like trying to write a great vampire story in broad daylight on a playground.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 03:03      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At university I listen to whatever's on the radio station in the labs. I prefer to code after 11pm as there is no distractions and my brain seems to work better in the wee small hours.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 13:18      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing with words or a that I want to play air guitar along with. Some jazz or classical if I play anything, but mostly I just want as much silence as I can get so I can concentrate.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 05:16      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly stuff without words - techno/electronica, classical or film score (I can't make out the words to LotR:TTT unless I try hard, so that's OK).

Foreign language is OK - i.e., Die Dritte Generation (trans: the 3rd generation) is good, even though I speak a little German. They do hip-hop and rap.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 10 posted September 05, 2004 07:11      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go for TMBG or Enigma while coding.
Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 08:42      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be anything from punk to straight ahead jazz.
Depends on my mood the code and convienance. Some favorites include

Ramones
Sick of it All
The Punkorama CD's
Miles Davis
Kenny Burrell
John Coltrane
Wes Montgomery

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 17, 2004 06:15      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a very beginner coder (newbie lava) and am starting out with Perl because I hear that Perl is a great way to get your feet wet. My goal is to simply learn at first...I am not sure what I want to do or what I want to actually code or code for, I just want to learn at first how it works, why it works and to increase my geekness. LOL Any input on how to start and where?
Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 06:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wouldn't you simply die without Mahler?"

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2004 08:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SimpleMan:
...... LOL Any input on how to start and where?

A good start would be not typing: LOL [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2004 21:46      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I have a track I just discovered by turning my cd changer on random play playing on a continuous loop, and that is The Beatles - Within you, Without you. Can someone please find me more stuff like this?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boyer U. Klumseay
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3011

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2004 17:45      Profile for Boyer U. Klumseay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time by the Chambers Brothers on repeat play

--------------------
~
Who wants to hear actors talk?
Harry Warner - 1925

Posts: 3 | From: Niskayuna, NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
GenSec
Geek Larva
Member # 3036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 03:22      Profile for GenSec     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tangerine Dream, Vollenweider, Caravan. Also 80's King Crimson, Genesis (early Collins), Enya.

Sometimes, when coding at night, I turn the TV on with some show I'm only half-interested and listen to it with one ear.

I only use headphones when I have to (like in the office). And sometimes I prefer silence (that is, some 30 or 40dB made by the cooling fan).

Historical note: Used to listen to Iron Maiden when doing math homework back in high school. But not physics hw - that I usually did just before lessons, with half the class behind my back, trying to copy in panic [Razz] but that's another story...

--------------------
programming: n. The art of debugging an empty file.
-- The Jargon File

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture