homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Bad Weather Warning Radios

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Weather Warning Radios
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2011 22:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All, USA residents and those Canadians that are close to the US border.

Many of you live in areas that have summer storms. Please look at this link. I live in the KXI-33 coverage area.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/apx/?n=nwr

Please consider buying a S.A.M.E. Radio, Midland makes nice ones they also have a pocket version, great for on the road. Too Many people got caught off guard this last week-end.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 00:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically this is a short wave radio, that you always have to have on, just in case.

With the money they spend on this, they could help more peopel if they got rid of it all and set up an SMS system.

My vision:

YOu sign up for a free NOAA sms serive online where you can put the in the country were you most oftern work and live. If there is a severe weather/ tornado Warning, everybody on the list gets an SMS warning them whats up ( tornado seen in xxxx or possible tornado / hail near XXXX ).

People are thousands of times more likely to have thier cell phone on them than a short wave!

the peoples money pay for the NOAA, the NOAA should use that money to help 99.9 % of the population, not the 0.01% with short wave radios...Sorry Moman.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 00:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Not Short Wave but UHF Radio telephone 162 Mhz. The radio can be in standby until an Alert is issued. Just above police and fire bands. Out here in the boonies not all areas are covered by Cellular Service however the Weather radios do appear to cover all of the USA and the alert signal is multiplexed on to the base frequency. I keep a Midland WR-100 in the house and have a police scanner for storm spotting. Often the cell phone does not work however 2 meter FM will.

____ The NWS does offer what you are proposing.

http://search.usa.gov/search?v%3Aproject=firstgov&query=SMS+alerts&affiliate=nws.noaa.gov

____ This is great if you do not turn OFF your phone at night, or have it set to vibrate.

--------------------

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 01:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Not Short Wave but UHF Radio telephone 162 Mhz. The radio can be in standby until an Alert is issued. Just above police and fire bands. Out here in the boonies not all areas are covered by Cellular Service however the Weather radios do appear to cover all of the USA and the alert signal is multiplexed on to the base frequency. I keep a Midland WR-100 in the house and have a police scanner for storm spotting. Often the cell phone does not work however 2 meter FM will.

____ The NWS does offer what you are proposing.

http://search.usa.gov/search?v%3Aproject=firstgov&query=SMS+alerts&affiliate=nws.noaa.gov

____ This is great if you do not turn OFF your phone at night, or have it set to vibrate.

I don't turn off my phoen at night, as it has functioned as my alarm clock since years.

I complained when all phones started coming with hundreds of features that I thought I would never use, but it turns out I do use alot of them that I thiought I never would.

like the alarm clock, the crappy 1.5 MP camera, the "flashlight " feature, as a watch ect.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 01:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ My problem with this last weekend was that too many people were caught off guard. If they had their phones set for Weather Alerts, if they had Weather (S.A.M.E.) alert radios MAYBE more would be alive today. When Gaylord sends the tones my APRS goes on just from the signal, I check the radars and try to get to the South side of the storm. I have the direct line pre-programed into my cell phone and the West Branch or Mio Repeaters are listened to by the Gaylord NWS.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 01:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I forgot the death toll but many of those could have tomorrow if they had known what was coming. Yes these new phones have a ton of features, however out in the boonies many of the bells and whistles just do not work. I spend a lot of time going to spotting classes, net control classes, keeping my gear ready to go, so I can be boots on the ground, for the NWS. Up here NWS and NFS often need spotters.

____ Sorry but that NWS link is for Emergency Managers and select spotters. Most TV stations have a method for SMS messages to be sent to viewers phones.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 08:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
With the money they spend on this, they could help more peopel if they got rid of it all and set up an SMS system.

My vision:

YOu sign up for a free NOAA sms serive online where you can put the in the country were you most often work and live. If there is a severe weather/ tornado Warning, everybody on the list gets an SMS warning them whats up ( tornado seen in xxxx or possible tornado / hail near XXXX ).

Afer the big fires here, a mythology developed that people weren't warned in time (in fact, the government was issuing warnings 2 days before that stopped just short of using the word 'Armageddon') so an SMS warning system was introduced that's even better than the one you describe.

There's a database of mobile phones and the addresses they're registered to, anyone registered in the danger areas gets an SMS.

In addition, the phone system software was modified to allow them to send a broadcast SMS to any mobile phone connected to specific towers, so even though I'm registered as living in the middle of the city, if I'm on a country drive through a danger area I'll get the message.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 11:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ That sounds like a PLAN.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.