homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 00:29      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm just the new guy, and maybe I am missing something but how come there is now section to discuss books? I read a lot and am also curious to what others are reading. Reading suggestions, etc. One of my fav. authors is probably stereotypical but Robert Heinlein is amazing. As for newer stuff, Daniel Suarez has a new book and the squeal to it. "Daemon" and "freedom" Really intense ideas regarding our networked world.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 00:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venture:
I know I'm just the new guy, and maybe I am missing something but how come there is now section to discuss books? I read a lot and am also curious to what others are reading. Reading suggestions, etc. One of my fav. authors is probably stereotypical but Robert Heinlein is amazing. As for newer stuff, Daniel Suarez has a new book and the squeal to it. "Daemon" and "freedom" Really intense ideas regarding our networked world.

for now, we have a rants raves and reviews section.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 03:25      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've really fallen out of the habit of reading before bedtime, which is a shame. Most recently I read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. His books always make me laugh, and they don't require too much effort to get into.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 04:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Rants, Raves, Rumors section, or else Fun and Games, and Reviews. They aren't strictly defined; nobody would get upset about off-topic posting or anything.

I read lots too. I just finished Year of the Flood (by Margaret Atwood). It's the sort-of sequel to Oryx and Crake, but you could read them in either order. It tells the story of the same event, except from the perspective of a different group of people. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake, too.

(Don't let the classification of her books fool you; she writes SF. My Holy Trinity of female SF writers would probably be Ursula Le Guin, Doris Lessing, and Margaret Atwood.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture