homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Airport security suggestion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Airport security suggestion
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 18, 2010 04:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I travel some and generally despise Airport security. [ 1) becuase it is ineffective 2) because it costs alot 3) becuase the personell are untrained d!cks 4) becuase it costs me time]

But in recently I discovered how it should be done.

1) You start at your dreaded line at the security checkpoint.

2)at the end of this line there is the stack of plastic trays that are for your shoes, laptops and other personal equipment (as at all airports).

3) you take your trays and then there is an "changing" area with benches to sit down and a place to take all the stuff out of your pockets ect take off your shoes, open your laptop bag, ect.

4) after the "changing" area there is a shorter line leading to the metal detector and X-ray machine. The people in this line have thier shoes off, laptops are in the platic trays, ect. ( actually I think the metal detector was an x-ray machine but that is for anouther post.)

5) The people at the xray detector point do not check your ticket / pass port, they are just looking for concealed items.

6) you go to the station that checks pasports, these people ONLY check your passport, no ticket check, ect. And they are thorough, and have microscopes and high definition scanners at the ready.

7) then you go to the person that checks the ticket, this person just checks the ticket, nothign else.

THIS SYSTEM IS FAST, and in my opinion the most effective I would guess.

This system works on so many levels. I was surprised how quickly it works.

If there are any slow poeple in the line ( elderly, families, people who don't travel often) it is no problem. You will pass them in the changing station.

Because there is no multi tasking, each station does ONE thing it is like Ford's assembly line. This allows the person at each station to do that one thing really well. ( they took a microscope to my passport to look to see if the micro printing was correct!), they scanned the pages of my passport that had interesting stamps i.e. stamps of islamic countries, probably a privacy concern in the US but you don't have any privacy right at the border)

that the person at the xray machine also didn't want to see any paper wrk mad going through here really quick.

I hate airport security, this one I liked, it made me feel safe, and I would add that it is probably cheaper to run than what often happens in the US and other places where you have to go through security checkpoints twice before you get on the plane. There is only one checkpoint here but with a failure rate probably much much lower than the multiple ,lets keep the terrorists guessing what we'll do next, system they have in the US.

to recap,

the brilliant point of this system is the "changing area" that makes the lines go quickly, people have the abilty to go at there own rate here without the hassles of holding other people up, fast people can basically bypass all the slow people in line.

ps.

I think the passport check is before the xrays but that is a moot point.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2010 07:25      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty interesting. Seems like there could be analogies with computer science; queuing, caches, dependencies etc.

Whenever I hear about something like this I always think it could be made into a computer game.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2010 08:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maximile: Like Roller Coaster Tycoon? Only it'd be Airport Security Tycoon. Build your own security checkpoint to get the most people through in the shortest amount of time, but beware the Terra'ists, make sure your security is secure enough to catch them, too!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2010 11:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diagram
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 02:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Until all luggage is loaded into a glider towed behind the airliner, and all passengers fly naked. Then Air Travel will be safe from the nutters.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 06:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, Air travel will never be safe from the nutters. I'd be happier with less "security", since most people on planes also want to reach their destination, and there is always some way to circumvent it. (In your example, surface to air missiles, or a swallowed device).

Air travel is the safest way to travel, but people are poor at assessing risk. Having been through lots of airports, I also have to say that the fewer queues the better. 3 separate stages just sounds like a way to get stuck three times to me!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 11:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ littlefish, I agree on many counts. Most of the nutters are forbidden from gazing at a naked female so the swallowed explosive would not be much of a problem, surface to air missiles have been available for some time and not used as of yet though I have some thoughts about the TWA flight from JFK. I do not buy the fuel gauge wiring exploded a near full tank. Aviation Kerosene is just too hard to light.

____ The passengers get on naked, all of their gear gets loaded into a glider towed by the mother ship. Yes you could push something up your poop shoot, how do you light it with nothing available? Right chemical timers. Well everyone gets an enema before boarding.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 11:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airplanes are cold so flying naked would really suck. Perhaps they could just issue each passenger a jumpsuit, set of underwear, and slipper socks before they board. If they don't comply they don't get seated.

I suggest this knowing full well that if that day ever comes, hubby and I will actually get serious about learning to fly our own bloody plane.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 12:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you make air travel perfectly secure, the nutters will just switch targets - trains (Madrid, London) hotels (Mumbai, Jakarta) bars (Bali, Berlin, London, Northern Ireland) even fish and chip shops (London, Northern Ireland).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2010 16:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I believe taken from Murphy, "You can't make anything fool proof, because fools are so Ingenious!" Maybe if enough of the nutters off themselves it will be Darwin like.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 03:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka, I'd put ticket control on the way into the changing area, simply because of theft concerns, you want to prevent unticketed people from walking into a place where a lot of people are currently shedding their belongings into little piles and bins. Just verifying they are holding tickets shouldn't make a big time difference.

Also, one thing security checkpoints generally miss is a reassembly area at the end of the xray/scanning area, so you end up with congestion where a bunch of people are trying to put their laptops back in bags, shoes back on, etc. at the end of the conveyors.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 18:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You absolutely have to do ticket control first for a lot of reasons. Another one is that many travelers get in the wrong line. It's not just stupidity, it is sometimes that they don't understand enough of the local language. You don't want the chance for people to go through security and then be told they are in the wrong line.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture