homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Testing out new evil ads (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Testing out new evil ads
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 08, 2007 08:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably going to try out some new ads sometime shortly. They are those super evil ones with the double-underlined links under the word.

The ads are In-Text Advertising with Kontera ContentLink... which you can see here.
http://kontera.com/ContentLinkFormats/Content.htm

Now I hate these things, but the reality is with the collapse of the US dollar, the loss of several SuperFans, and a general wealth deficiency around here, we need to make more money. I have no idea whether or not these would bring in much revenue for us, if they didn't, they'd be gone.

So I just wanted to let you all know, and to get your opinions.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 08:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Snaggy,

I am no longer a paying customer here. My apologies and regrets of course.

I absolutely loathe ads of any kind. But we all gotta eat. Go for it and thanks for the heads up.

Just my $0.02

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 09:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have ads here? [Eek!] [Confused]

/me turns off adblock

oh.

/me turns adblock back on

go for it, I have test blocked them.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 09:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to promote shopping via your Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/geekculture-20

I make all my Amazon purchases through it.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 09:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

I rather loathe those sorts of ads, but c'est la vie.

(If I find that I really dislike them, I think you know how I'll remedy that situation...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find them less troublesome than the flash ads, though. Those mostly bother me because they tend to use absurd amounts of system resources on my old home computer.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:26      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, thanks for proving exactly why I think this place is just so damned cool - I really appreciate that you would give us a heads-up and ask for opinions before testing the news ads. You wouldn't get that in a lot of other places, so thanks [Smile]

I'm not a fan of ads, but hey, it's totally understandable that you guys need to put them up, so go for it.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 08, 2007 10:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a few running now, but I'm not sure how effective they will be as the JoT page is either graphics or linked text already. Oh well, we shall see. [Geek]

(I haven't planned on putting them in the Forums, although I'd be interested to see where "grabs your butt" links to. [Razz] )

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 11:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
There's a few running now, but I'm not sure how effective they will be as the JoT page is either graphics or linked text already. Oh well, we shall see. [Geek]

(I haven't planned on putting them in the Forums, although I'd be interested to see where "grabs your butt" links to. [Razz] )

Ohh...that...well, I just visit via RSS, and will find out on Friday. [Razz]

May I humbly suggest that you redo the JoT page with a more text/Web 2.0 style? Not only would it help this aspect of ad stuff, but it'd be a little less graphics heavy and/or...crowded. Just a thought...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 08, 2007 11:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I humbly suggest that you redo the JoT page with a more text/Web 2.0 style? Not only would it help this aspect of ad stuff, but it'd be a little less graphics heavy and/or...crowded. Just a thought...

I'd love to, anyone care to help?... I am still only Web 0.5 capable. [blush]

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 13:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy -

The two key points have already been voiced, but I would re-iterate them as my $0.02 -

1) Few people like ads, but GC with ads is better than no GC at all. You do what you gotta do.

2) You ran it by us first. [Applause] It doesn't sound much when you say it quickly, but I would that this level of courtesy was still the norm in the wider world!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 14:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could do worse... a lot worse

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 03:34      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should look into the big interstitials, like Salon and NYTimes have. They are usually once a day (I assume there is a cookie involved) and I don't find them particularly annoying. Much less so than the flash ads, which have a tendency to hang Opera once in a while.

That's my .02.

Oh, Thinkgeek has an affiliate program too, btw.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 13:33      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

I'd love to, anyone care to help?... I am still only Web 0.5 capable. [blush]

I'd love to have a go at coming up with some versions if you don't mind waiting a week or two.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 16:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As ads go, these ones are relatively unobtrusive.

Just out of vague curiosity, how do they pay?
Are you paid for every mouse-over, or do I have to click-through?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 19:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah you do whatever you have to do. I'm all ready used to having to exit out of the once a day zwinky or whatever that ad is for Gc. And I all ready know how long my page loads so I can click the nice little button which lets me skip the 15 second countdown and get to the topic.

I know a lot of the anime sites just tell everyone how much the current months bill was for the site and put a nice little paypal logo underneath and give people recognition for donating. Usually there monthly bill's are around 300 bucks - I dunno how Gc compares.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 22:07      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
And I all ready know how long my page loads so I can click the nice little button which lets me skip the 15 second countdown and get to the topic.

Uhm.. GC doesn't have countdown ads, in fact, I don't think /any/ legitimate site uses countdown ads. Whenever I've seen them, they've been placed there by spyware/adware on the PC. I think you need to download AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) and/or (prefrably *and*) SpyBot Search & Destroy (safernetworking.com) and run them both and remove the billion pieces of malware you have on your system.

Back on topic... I hate those ads, but I understand that you need to fund this site, and I think it's quite noble of you to ask us if we're okay with it. [Smile] I say do what you must do to keep me able to get my GeekCulture fix!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 22:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually...GC has had interstitials from time to time...

(re: legit sites - as fs said, NYT does it!)

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2007 06:02      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
And I all ready know how long my page loads so I can click the nice little button which lets me skip the 15 second countdown and get to the topic.

Uhm.. GC doesn't have countdown ads, in fact, I don't think /any/ legitimate site uses countdown ads. Whenever I've seen them, they've been placed there by spyware/adware on the PC. I think you need to download AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) and/or (prefrably *and*) SpyBot Search & Destroy (safernetworking.com) and run them both and remove the billion pieces of malware you have on your system.

Back on topic... I hate those ads, but I understand that you need to fund this site, and I think it's quite noble of you to ask us if we're okay with it. [Smile] I say do what you must do to keep me able to get my GeekCulture fix!

Yeah I have Spybot Search and Destroy and it found nothing when I just ran it again.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 13:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Hmm, I don't see any interstitials here. I get them on nytimes.com, salon.com and discovery.com. I'm using Opera 9.2, if that helps.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 20:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I took one for the team, clicking through a Sun ad. Oddly enough, the Sun page replaced the JoT page, but the back button was disabled.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Hmm, I don't see any interstitials here. I get them on nytimes.com, salon.com and discovery.com. I'm using Opera 9.2, if that helps.
It's only happened once in a blue moon. Probably a day when the ad vendors decided to try a different campaign or something.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 16, 2007 22:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tribalfusion ads (and google ones too) are geographically and OS targeted, so often we never see the ads people in the US, Aus, or UK, or even other parts of Canada will. (btw, if anyone ever sees one they really don't like, let me know what it is, and I will ponder removing it.)

I don't think I've ever personally seen an interstitial on GC. I suppose us hicks on Vancouver Island don't warrant them. [Razz]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 21, 2007 17:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I canna take it no longer.. they are gone!
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted October 21, 2007 20:18      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much would it take to make this site ad free?

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture