homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » General Chatter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: General Chatter?
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 08, 2007 09:03      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I know. Post-whoring. Of a sort. There does seem to be a lot of things that I think of to say, and it's not like I'm trolling or upping my post count for the hell of it (I'm not even sure what mine is) but it seems to be all at once, spattered around the forum just like that night when...

*cough*

I was just thinking, there's a place for talking about our lives, and a place for talking about news we might have, but not really anywhere for random junk.

And I know how we all like random junk. [crazy]

I mean, I don't want to clutter up the place with shite, but I like sticking to the topic criteria of a forum. To me, especially somewhere intelligent like this, it's just politeness.

Perhaps it's me being too particular about things and I should just shove all the crap I'm thinking of saying into Our Stupid Lives. [Razz]

Like asking where people drew their geeky lines, and how old the last post has to be before it's necro-posting, in your opinion. Just odd little things that I wondered what everyone else's views were.

I guess that's Ask A Geek, but that seems to be a more problem-solution kind of place.

I think I'm thinking more of a General Chatter kind of area. Where posts aren't really about anything in particular but they don't fit into any of the categories. Or I could just stop being pedantic. [Wink] Your call. [Cool]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 09:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demosthenes tried to start up a sort of random chatter thread, but the Powers That Be didn't like it (it's a bit hard to keep track of stuff when everyone's chucking out random thoughts/events).

That said, I do like the idea of a chatter thread.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 10:22      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the other forum I play in we have a section called, simply, Off Topic. That's where the randomness goes. I often spend stints there when I've grown tired of serious discussion and want to relax a bit amongst friends. I certainly wouldn't mind relaxing a bit amongst my geek friends, too.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 08, 2007 11:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoonette, Our Stupid Lives is supposed to fill that niche.

I didn't like that single thread for random stuff, as (like Xan said), it was almost impossible to follow it, and the rest of the forums suffered.

That said, I won't go all Nazi on a chatter thread if that's what people want

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 12:36      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad is member of the 200mph.org forum (for loons who want to get a motorcycle to 200mph+ strangely enough) and they have a section called "Pub Talk" or (something very similar) where all the basically not 200mph stuff goes.

Similarly a work colleague visits a railway preservation forum that has a section called "Off the Rails" for all the not about railways stuff.

Then again being very specifically targeted forums very many of the members know each other IRL through group meetings so maybe that keeps it under some tighter self control than we might get here.

I can see how "Our Stupid Lives" was meant for that - but as Geeks I think we often find our lives clagged with stupidness and as such that section has taken on a life of its own.

So overall I would not be against a "Chattering Classes" section, I guess Snaggy and Nitro could always trial one and if it gets out of hand can it again?

Then again I don't particularly see a burning need for one either

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 19:04      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Spoonette, Our Stupid Lives is supposed to fill that niche.
Duly noted. [Smile]

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 08:30      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like to see? An actual "Fun and Games" thread so we can get "New Forum Game" moved to a better thread than "All about You!"

I know we have the joke bank one, but it'd be nice to have one especially for word games and for links to fun flash games and board or video game reviews.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 11:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just_Jess_B wrote:
What I'd like to see? An actual "Fun and Games" thread so we can get "New Forum Game" moved to a better thread than "All about You!"

I know we have the joke bank one, but it'd be nice to have one especially for word games and for links to fun flash games and board or video game reviews.

I'll second that. Links to music videos could be quarantined in there too... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 09, 2007 11:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm, what if I re-named the Reviews forum to Fun and Games, and Reviews?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 14:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good to me. It would give us a more 'official' place to put such silliness and it's not like that forum has ever gotten more than a few posts a month.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 09, 2007 15:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it is done. [Smile]

And I moved that new forum game in there too.

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 10, 2007 05:07      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Nice one. Ta!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture