homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Message Limit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Message Limit
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 03:35      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think new users should not be able to start a new thread before they reach ~20 messages (Geek Larva). There have been many instances of trolling last week.

What do you think?

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 03:54      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think that's bad, just wait for the next school holidays! [Wink]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 06:26      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a good idea, but then we will be subjected to useless posts as this 20 post requirement is being met.

IIRC, this type of discussion has taken place many times, but by far, I think the best idea was to place a 2-3 day waiting period during which posting is not possible.

This would eliminate the kiddies who find the forum, think "oh, this looks fun", and start posting away. Likely by the time three days have gone by, anyone not truly interested in posting here will have forgotten about it.

Just redistributing someone's $0.02 [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 06:58      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a decent idea, but they still should be able to introduce themselves somehow.

Maybe the registration process should include an introduction section that is reviewed by a volunteer moderator and posted. Then you can only reply to existing threads until you get your 20 posts under your belt. I say "volunteer moderator" because our Benevolent Dictators have plenty to do already I'm sure.

Or we could let it be and bask in the knowledge that it's much worse in other parts of the 'net [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scubbo
Mini Geek
Member # 4832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:14      Profile for Scubbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a newbie myself, I would say that the 2-3 day limit on starting new topics seems fair; I personally still can't think of any new topics I'd want to start (besides my introduction), so that shouldn't discourage those that are genuinely interested, whereas trolls should find that hampers them. The process of submitting a request for admission seems a little harsh for a forum that's supposed to be welcoming, but that might just be me.

As for the problems of trolls simply using existing threads; perhaps some kindly souls could volunteer to have the first 20 or so posts by a new member copied to them as a personal message, so that they can get an overview of the person's character and recommend them for banning?

Also; it may well exist, but I've yet to find a "report this post" button. This could be a concious decision in the interests of freedom of speech (I've seen many requests for obnoxious/undesirable posts to be edited, implying that there isn't another recourse to get rid of offensive comment), but equally a method of tagging a troublemaker could be invaluable.

Just my 0.011181 (Damned exchange rate...)

--------------------
Information wants to be anthropomorphized.
When in doubt; Use the Source, Luke.

Posts: 64 | From: Englandland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 11:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The government just needs to give me an all-access airplane pass, and a 12 gauge, and the right to do what I wish with spammers.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 14:31      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The government just needs to give me an all-access airplane pass, and a 12 gauge, and the right to do what I wish with spammers.
OMG...perfect!

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 17:13      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Buckshot or Birdshot?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 19:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:

Buckshot or Birdshot?
I think you might be missing the point here. [Wink]

Fuck it, just give me a hammer. Make it interesting.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 20:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, do I have the right tool for you! A 5 pound dead blow hammer. [Wink] [Big Grin] I can't imagine it'd be terribly safe for human impact, though I have no first hand knowledge of that sort of thing. I just know that it's rather good for hitting things into place.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 06:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Boy, do I have the right tool for you! A 5 pound dead blow hammer. [Wink] [Big Grin] I can't imagine it'd be terribly safe for human impact, though I have no first hand knowledge of that sort of thing. I just know that it's rather good for hitting things into place.

That's the point. [Big Grin]
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 07:01      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dead-blow hammers just wouldn't have the right kind of impact..... They are made of rubber/plastic with steel shot inside. No bounce on impact so more of the force is delivered to the material, but the plastic deforms too much.

For spammers - I have a nice 3lb steel hammer in the shop I would use. Easy to hold and you can swing it one handed pretty easy. Best for tight quarters. If you have wide open space - then I have a 16lb sledge - that's the real tool for driving your point home.

Of course - there is the age-old debate of blunt force vs. edged tools...... hmmmmmm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 07:53      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:

For spammers - I have a nice 3lb steel hammer

Sorry, Doc but I must object. I see no benefit in lending hammers to spammers. [Big Grin]

More seriously, the occasional bursts of trolling by kiddies (and others) who register, post a couple of annoying or obnoxious messages and then leave is indeed bothersome. And some of the serious suggestions above, such as the introductory info in the registration and the 3-day wait are excellent.

The catch is that any such provisions will slow the number of registrations to the site, meaning it will reduce subscriber traffic, which means it will reduce ROI to the owners. Finally, then, even if our BD's do not operate Geek Culture merely to make money, those changes would be detrimental to their continuing the site. Unless the Superfans wanted to significantly increase their support.

FWIW

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 08:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:

For spammers - I have a nice 3lb steel hammer

Sorry, Doc but I must object. I see no benefit in lending hammers to spammers. [Big Grin]

More seriously, the occasional bursts of trolling by kiddies (and others) who register, post a couple of annoying or obnoxious messages and then leave is indeed bothersome. And some of the serious suggestions above, such as the introductory info in the registration and the 3-day wait are excellent.

The catch is that any such provisions will slow the number of registrations to the site, meaning it will reduce subscriber traffic, which means it will reduce ROI to the owners. Finally, then, even if our BD's do not operate Geek Culture merely to make money, those changes would be detrimental to their continuing the site. Unless the Superfans wanted to significantly increase their support.

FWIW

Exactly. Which is why my suggestion is best. Give me a hammer and plane tickets please.
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 16:02      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, and this topic comes up again. Personally, I think the system as it stands works well, as long as we don't feed the trolls. Moreover, how many people have been banned? Most trolls just get bored and move on to graze under other bridges.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 16:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of trolling, but I've seen too many times in my own life that "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger." Yeah, trolls are annoying, but they usually don't last long, so I'm not really sweating it.

Hehe... believe it or not, the Bible actually has something to say about the trials we go through when dealing with trolls. [Big Grin]

Romans 5:3-4: ...We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

James 1:2-4: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

2 Peter 1:5-7: For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 16:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'm not a fan of trolling, but I've seen too many times in my own life that "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger." Yeah, trolls are annoying, but they usually don't last long, so I'm not really sweating it.

Hehe... believe it or not, the Bible actually has something to say about the trials we go through when dealing with trolls. [Big Grin]

sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

James 1:2-4: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

2 Peter 1:5-7: For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

drunkennewfiemidget 4:12 - Where's my hammer?
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 16:51      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

drunkennewfiemidget 4:12 - Where's my hammer?
When one smite ye on one cheek, smash him on the other!
And in this case, with a 5 pound hammer.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 17:11      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Buckshot or Birdshot?

Rock salt.

A good-sized claw hammer works better than anything rubberized. The blunt end's good for bludgeoning and getting sadistic, and the claw end's good for finishing the job fast. [Big Grin]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 17:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNF_________________I have the perfect hammer, at work it was called the BMH (Big Mutha Hammer) Nine pounds of cast Brass on a rubber coated steel handle.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 17:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon... we're supposed to be geeks here. You would obviously want to use an instrumented impact hammer so that you could record exactly what amount of force you applied.

With a second sensor and a spectrum analyzer, you can even determine the resonant frequency of someone's skull. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 18:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
DNF_________________I have the perfect hammer, at work it was called the BMH (Big Mutha Hammer) Nine pounds of cast Brass on a rubber coated steel handle.

Sounds good. I can bludgeon and damage them while keeping it nice and comfortable for me. That's awesome.
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 20:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
A good-sized claw hammer works better than anything rubberized. The blunt end's good for bludgeoning and getting sadistic, and the claw end's good for finishing the job fast. [Big Grin]

My personal favorite. The beautiful waffle imprint of an Estwing framing hammer.

-

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 22:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to recall a conversation between Nanny Ogg and the Very Reverend wotsisname in Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum". Something about how she'd let him pray, but she'd be damned if she just left it up to Om to take care of. Or maybe it was Granny that he had the conversation with?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scubbo
Mini Geek
Member # 4832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2006 05:11      Profile for Scubbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I'm trying to recall a conversation between Nanny Ogg and the Very Reverend wotsisname in Terry Pratchett's "Carpe Jugulum". Something about how she'd let him pray, but she'd be damned if she just left it up to Om to take care of. Or maybe it was Granny that he had the conversation with?

Very Reverend Oates, I believe.

It sounds like much more of a Granny quote than Nanny Ogg (and I believe he spends a lot more time with Granny), but I could be wrong. Couldn't find it in the annotated quote file.

--------------------
Information wants to be anthropomorphized.
When in doubt; Use the Source, Luke.

Posts: 64 | From: Englandland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture