homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » don't download sp2 unless you want to talk to me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: don't download sp2 unless you want to talk to me
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 12:40      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MS really did a number this time. i get calls everyday of looping reboots, stop135 errors, BSoD's, etc.

the one that takes the cake is this:
i took a call from a lady who was stuck in a looping reboot. she didn't have a xp cd, or a recovery cd. on top of that, her computer would not let her boot into safe mode. i knew after 10 minutes on the phone with her that i could not fix it. 2 hours, 20 minutes later, the call ends. jesus.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 12:55      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd have to pass on my experiences:

I've upgraded my desktop and my laptop with no problems. I've also upgraded 7 other Windows XP machines with no problems.
One of my friends has reported that his HP laptop rejected SP2, after installing he attempted to do a disk defrag and got errors about multiple instances running.

So right now, as far as my experiences with it are concerned, there is a 10% failure rate with it, not too bad considering the previous failure rates of Service Packs released by MS.

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 13:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! I downloaded SP2 onto my primary XP workstation the first day it was officially released. Fsck...I didn't talk to you, and it works - what am I going to do?!! Actually, it locked up my machine on initial reboot, but was fine after that. After seeing it work for the last 3 weeks or so, I've recently installed it on a handful of machines that were extremely out of date on Windows updates (some didn't even have SP1). I'm still being cautious, but I really don't think M$ is going to put out an SP2a/b, so I don't see the point in holding off any longer. Though I've burned a dozen discs with the ~250 MB file, I just ordered an offical CD from M$ today (they're free, why not?).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 14:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
by bull3t:
Topic: don't download sp2 unless you want to talk to me

....this coming from a guy who admits to being just hired as a low level help desk person [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 21, 2004 15:05      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
by bull3t:
Topic: don't download sp2 unless you want to talk to me

....this coming from a guy who admits to being just hired as a low level help desk person [Roll Eyes]
capn vic, whats that supposed to mean?

i hope you're not talkin crap, man. you and i have been down this road before. [Big Grin]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 17:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that stench?

This thread is dead, dude.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture