homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Suggestion Box!   » Birthday pressies (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Birthday pressies
Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 05:17      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest on each members birthday, on the homepage at geekculture.com have a happy birthday box with the members name and their home page link...(deep down an SEO b'day pressie hehehe).

Hey...I was kinda serious [Razz]

Cathy

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]
http://www.cathyjenkins.com

Posts: 41 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TimM
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2675

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted April 27, 2004 05:25      Profile for TimM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh..yes. I think that's a good idea too [Smile] .

--------------------
- Tim Malone - www.focuswebdesign.com.au
Affordable web design, web hosting, domain registration, and custom programming based in Australia

Posts: 1 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people think that it is not advisable to have your birthday or other personal details freely available on the web, to discourage identity theft. I would imagine that this does not bother you Cathy, as you have your web site in your own name, but what do others think?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to encourage identity theft - until I ended up with Timmy Mallett's.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering how many more Canberran web designers we can attract. That's probably all of them, actually [Wink] (my brother in law was one, but he's moved to Sydney now).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Cathy when is your birthday? What presents do you want? And is TimM a mate of yours, as I see he is from Canberra too?

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Rolf>
"Tie me Canberran down, sport, tie me Canberran down... "
</Rolf>

Ok. I'll shut up now.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
<Rolf>
"Tie me Canberran down, sport, tie me Canberran down... "
</Rolf>

Ok. I'll shut up now.

You mean before someone mentions the Court of King Caractus?

Doh!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:52      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So Cathy when is your birthday? What presents do you want? And is TimM a mate of yours, as I see he is from Canberra too?

Good question. Every day of the year is my birthday, it's on Nov 17 officially. I don't care if the whole world knows. Maybe this year I'll get a happy birthday hahaha. As for the pressies:
1. Uni degree without having attended uni (accredited too, and yes a piece of paper is a laime request hehehe).
2. A job as a trainee in the IT industry somewhere.
3. A new boat.
...and that's just the tip of the ice berg!

I do know Tim actually. He is one of my competitors, he has more clients but I charge way more (got $7000 on one project [Big Grin] ). Other than that we both moderate at www.techiwarehouse.com

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A competitor eh? Well I hope you'll both play nice while you are here. [Wink]

--------------------

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:29      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get on just fine! Never have had any problems whatsoever.

I think part of the reason is I seem to attract enquiries from "sporty" related businesses, a film production company is an exception to that.

He seems to get the "health/religious" kinds of enquiries. I guess it all comes down to the history of it, www.bgcc.org.au was the first site I did. I think his first site was the church he is a member of - but I'm not sure. I should ask him!

Yes. Deep down we want to do better than each other, but you know what they say "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer".

Cathy

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathy:
I think part of the reason is I seem to attract enquiries from "sporty" related businesses

She likes a bit of sport, eh? He asked him knowingly...

--------------------

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:39      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play this crazy sport called Canoe Polo actually. Before that I did Snorkelling, and before that Gymnastics, and softball.

Now I've moved on to a better sport. Although I'm lazy now. Pacman. It's cool, you get to go around eating and running at the same time...pacman totally turns me on.

I might add there is a 4 year age gap between me and a certain someone else! Hormones do not come into it at all!

Cathy

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone needs to read up on their Monty Python

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:46      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you, uh,... are you selling something?
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? [Confused]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selling. Very good, very good...

--------------------

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:58      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Someone needs to read up on their Monty Python
Now it appears you have some catching up to do [Razz] .
quote:

--------------------
Hate spam?

I quite like spam myself, but some people prefer eggs and sausage [Razz] .  -

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 08:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here actually eaten Spam? I just would never eat anything that came covered in so much jelly... unless it was wearing a bikini.

--------------------

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 27, 2004 08:26      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anyone here actually eaten Spam? I just would never eat anything that came covered in so much jelly... unless it was wearing a bikini.
Or covered in wool.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 08:56      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anyone here actually eaten Spam?

Actually, my wife loves the stuff. I think it smells, looks, and tastes worse than cheap generic dog food. It's a cultural thing, I guess, since Spam was brought to Okinawa by the GI's, and it was all some people could get to eat. So now it's still a popular grocery store item, and commercials abound on TV.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 09:31      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest I've never eaten it before. Why does life have to be so confusing!

Did you mean Jelly or Jam? I'm Australian and assuming your jelly is our jam, or our jam is your jelly and no wait they are the same and...ouch my head hurts.

Here goes. Gelatine = our jelly.
Jam = jam! That's the way it ough to be!

Right?

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 09:47      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify:
UK jam = US jelly
UK jelly = US jello
UK marmalade = marmalade. Thats what it's called, thats what it is and if you don't like it, then you can make up a new word for it as long as you stop calling your language english.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 09:47      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo is across the pond from me so his jam and jelly are probably the same as yours. Though I'm not sure SPAM would be ruined by grape jam on it any more than it already is with that cloudy aspic.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 09:55      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I rather like the stuff, if cooked properly of course. And as for the birthday thing, I like the idea and would be more than happy to be the first as my B-Day is today [Big Grin] .

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture