homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » House Pets and Nature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: House Pets and Nature
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 13:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
House Pets and Nature, Dogs and cats vz Wild critters. Two weeks ago our alerting dog tangled with a wild critter and appeared to win, One small laceration on our watch dog the critter ran off, it was too dark to see the event. It changed my opinion about our dog as I had always assumed that he had lost that ability when he was neutered, seems not. The cats want to stalk the Canadian Geese (Big Birds) to them. however they are not allowed out after dusk.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 04, 2017 02:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever there are raccoons outside our house, say on the porch, NitroKitty gets all excited and rubs up against the windows purring, hoping to get their attention. The raccoons are all like... WTF? What's up with that cat? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2017 09:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, we let the druidhound out the back door, and he had an encounter with a possum in one of our trees.
That tree became forever "the possum tree" - every time we let the druidhound out the back door he'd run at that tree hackles raised and barking like he expected a fight.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2017 09:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back story Sir Barks-a-lot Also known as Buster is a mixed breed American Eskimo and some fence jumper. Each night that we let him out he scares off the evil Spirits, These can be White tailed Deer, Coyote, Geese, Ducks, Raccoons, and Skunks. He knows mare about Skunks than he wants to. So each let out is a two minute bark fest until he is ready to come back in.

Two weeks ago was different this was a stand off what ever it was was not backing down, two different BARKS then a skirmish followed by a YIP then running feet, and he came to the porch to be let in, I saw no marks or bleeding wounds on Buster, Next morning the Mrs,informed me that there was blood in his bed, not much just drops. Seeing that it was Sunday and Buster was behaving very normal like nothing had happened. Monday I called the Veterinarian, She gave him a booster for Rabies and a broad spectrum antibiotic and we were on our way.

The cats seemed to know what happened and give him more respect than before.

My thoughts are that he tangled with a pair of Coyotes, and did not let them get the best of him

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2017 13:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, there was much excitement at The Hill Top. The Mrs was holding a door open to let the cats go out, a field swallow flew in followed by the one cat that had just gone out. The one in the house joined the chase as the Mrs kept yelling that there was a bird in th house, yup there was, the cats wanted that bird. We opened the doors and I armed with a fly swatter gave chase. Soon the field swallow spotted the open door and flew out. The cats did not give chase, however all evening the tabby marked one kept checking the back of the couch to see if their were more birds to chase.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 25, 2017 11:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love field swallows, although in Ontario we called them Tree Swallows. Really like their shimmering green colouring. I haven't seen one out here in BC. [Frown]

Is that what kind of bird it was?

-

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2017 11:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, you bet-cha, the colors are somewhat different. The ones here are dark Blue-black with cream colored bellies. They come out when I start the tractor thinking that I am going to mow and scare up some insects.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture