homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Ground hog day,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ground hog day,
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2014 21:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ground hog day, well after this winter I am wondering if the Ground hog will be able to tunnel back to the surface. I know of one burrow and I have not seen any evidence near there. The rabbits are active and leaving their droppings all over the yard.

So is every one else tired of winter? At least those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.

Last week we took delivery of the last of our propane buy of last summer, I hope winter breaks before we use up what we have.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2014 22:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FFS, I walked across the East River tonight (on a bridge...it's not that bad [Wink] ) and my Nalgene was swaying back and forth -- as a result, the inside was coated with a layer of ice, and clumps of ice formed in the water. I've never seen that happen before! o_O It was 20 F / -7 C, but I guess it must have been the wind (and lack of shelter) that acted so quickly. At least it's going to be above freezing over the next few days. I couldn't care less about that /big/ event on Sunday, but I'm glad that the 'world won't end,' because the moaning and groaning would be more than I'd care to witness.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2014 23:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to have to mention it, especially after reading/seeing how bad it's been for the rest of you North Americans, but it has been an awesome winter here on the west coast. Not much rain, sunny days, mild. Birds are singing and it's like spring. [Cool]

I'll stop now. [Razz]

We could use a little more snow up on the mountains though.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2014 13:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy & dragonman97, The burrow or hole I had been watching is a long a fence row. With the drifts and snow blower it now has about two feet of snow covering the hole. Now the rabbit holes those busy little buggers they dig them selves out in a few hours.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2014 01:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was 2F here a couple of days ago and it was 63F today. It's fun living in an area that can't decide if it's winter or spring.

And if there were ever any groundhogs near my house, they've long since been killed and eaten by my cat.

(that's an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper to give a size reference)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2014 08:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we have less than two hours to find out, Ground Hog, is that a re-branded Wood Chuck?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 02, 2014 14:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bad news folks…

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/01/live-coverage-of-wiarton-willie-on-groundhog-day

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2014 07:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, you're supposed to be geeks, shouldnt you be using non-rodent-based weather forecasting technology?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2014 08:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHUSH you'll scare it back down the hole.

Actually we are trying to compile the evidence that is showing, that more often than not. That the ground hog is wrong.

ps: It appears that in Pennsylvania the rodent saw his shadow, (POOP) that means 42 more days of this snow.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2014 16:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me thinks I saw the little bugger yesterday running across, our south ten. Short tail and moving in a motion unlike a skunk.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2014 12:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sublimation, over the last few days, we have lost about 10% of our snow cover. Bright sunny days with mild winds. There are many spots on the driveway that have cleared of Ice and Snow with no evidence of the liquid phase. this is a gravel driveway so it is easy to notice.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2014 13:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Losing snow cover...neat.

Not here...about an hour ago, there was about 4 1/2" of new snow - it's now at about 6 1/2" (18" outside total). A few days ago, the predictions were for 5-8, yesterday at 7-11, now 9-14 in. (24-35 cm).

Still, it's not as bad as the South has it...since we know how to deal with this dreaded stuff. Seeking news from anywhere-but-/. this week, I stumbled on this via reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/s3hhYjT.jpg
(caption: "So, this is how Raleigh, NC handles 2.5" of snow")

I read yesterday about the scathing send ups directed at Atlanta for their mismanagement when they got a little bit of snow a fortnight ago...and if anyone else is snowed in and looking for a laugh, here are a few good ones:
Jon Stewart
Al Roker
SNL

P.S. Admittedly, I can just look out the window...but just another reason I [hearts] DuckDuckGo:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=is+it+snowing%3F

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2014 19:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lost snow cover that was the good thing, we also lost our Mail box, yup the snow plow driver. Peeled right off the post.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2014 19:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
Still, it's not as bad as the South has it...since we know how to deal with this dreaded stuff. Seeking news from anywhere-but-/. this week, I stumbled on this via reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/s3hhYjT.jpg
(caption: "So, this is how Raleigh, NC handles 2.5" of snow")

That image has been updated to reflect current conditions.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2014 01:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha!

But seriously...WTF is with all the car fires?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2014 11:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This could be about the Ice on Lake Superior or all the car fires.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2014 14:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97:
WTF is with all the car fires?

It's the same car fire, just from a closer vantage point.

That said, the NFPA estimated 172,500 highway vehicle fires occurred in 2012. I'm surprised there aren't more photos of cars on fire during the snowstorm being passed around the internet. Statistically, there had to be at least a few dozen.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2014 20:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, on second or third look, I think that off in the distance, it must be a car's headlights at a funny angle - it looked to me almost like there were 2 or 3 fires in the first shot.

And damn...that's a lot of fires per year. I thought fuel shutoffs were supposed to prevent that - maybe that was only the dramatic sort of explosions seen in movies.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2014 08:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well automobile fuel tanks are getting better. No longer a half clam shell screwed to the trunk floor pan with a gasket. There are external plastic shields but not yet, fuel bladders inside a metal container.

In the aircraft industry where weight is even more of a disadvantage they have gone to fuel bladders, quite common in the marine industry also.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2014 07:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunday Morning, POOP it is snowing again.

By Wednesday there is supposed to be 3-5 more inches of the white stuff.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2014 16:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy another winter weather advisory this time for freezing rain, snow, heavy rains and possible flooding. This is starting to get very old, our area has set several records, num. of days below normal, above normal snow fall, and num. of days below freezing in a row.

We only have 250gallons of propane left from our summer buy and the price has gone up 50%/Gal.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture