homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Sorry I am Late

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry I am Late
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2013 08:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year TFD.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 31, 2013 13:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year Druid! [Applause] [Applause]

Me? I'm still living in the past. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2013 15:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo-hoo, TFD! It's 2014 somewhere! [Razz]

Here's hoping it's a good one...
(2013 has been something of a crap year for me. :/)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2013 23:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit early here, but Happy New Year's none the less.

In true geek fashion, I'm spending a quiet evening at home watching Netflix and playing video games (lately Rogue Legacy has been the time waster du jour).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2014 01:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here: Something to cheer you up, Grumpy.
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2014 11:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked the video, even if it is just a cheesy song about Bavarian girls (think Kidz Bop version of California Girls if you don't understand German). I grew up near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, though, so I'm used to cheesy dinner shows like that.

No need for cheering, however, because I'm old and a geek. Playing video games and watching movies is far more interesting to me than going to a party.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2014 15:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That video was kind of scary! [Razz]

On another note - great JoT, N+S!!! 'Tis sad, but true. :/ (Monocle dude FTW!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 15:29      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
I actually liked the video, even if it is just a cheesy song about Bavarian girls (think Kidz Bop version of California Girls if you don't understand German). I grew up near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, though, so I'm used to cheesy dinner shows like that.

No need for cheering, however, because I'm old and a geek. Playing video games and watching movies is far more interesting to me than going to a party.

Its hard to explain how popular Musikantenstadl is in german speaking countries. This tv show has been running for more than 30 years and it is still a big deal epecially when the show come to your town. ( the last show was in my town, basel). They play mostly folk music. The closest thing I can think to compar it too is austin city limits which has been running for the same amount of time. Except it Musikantenstadl runs during prime time on the most popular tv channels instead of PBS. ( I have nothign against PBS)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 05:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I've just got back from a week here...

-

From what I hear, the weather's been a little less pleasant in North America, hope everyone's ok.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 07:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, LESS PLEASANT. Is an understatement. From 49N to about the Mason Dixon line has been brutal,

Each summer I buy our heating gas (propane) we have burned through half of that already. Yesterday morning the reading was -13F or -25C or to our friends in Alaska 45 Degs. of frost.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 14:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less pleasant? It's -7 C out now and it was colder yesterday. At least I got the day off on account of snow that didn't end until 10 AM. [Smile]

Glad you've found some nice respite, though - I may try and get away for a little bit sometime this cold season. :/ (I dearly love NY, but the extremes in weather we get for short bits of the winter and summer can eventually get to one.)

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 22:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman and anyone that lives in the NE or New England area Make sure you know where your long johns (underwear) are stored, you are going to need them.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2014 22:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today was a heat wave it got up to 6F or ~ -15C that's still cold.

The powder snow that has packed in drifts sounds like it is complaining when I walk on the snow. The sound is a cross between a squeal and a screech, sort of like a bushing that has run out of oil.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 08:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were tipping temperatures of around 50C (122 F) in parts of Australia today, and as I was driving home the radio was giving advice on evacuation routes from some towns west of Melbourne that are threatened by bushfires.

Ever think how much better the world would be if we could just "average" with some place that's having the opposite problem?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2014 09:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the Bahamas to be quite suitable.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2014 09:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 5 day forecast for Melbourne: 35C, 41C, 39C, 41C, 40C
(95F, 106F, 102F, 106F, 104F)

It's not so much the high daily maxima that I hate, but an overnight minimum of 28C (82F) is brutal.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 00:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot nights are unpleasant, especially if the humidity is also high.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 08:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what if it rains every day?

Marsh Harbour Bahamas

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 17:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
36C (97F) at 2 am is frakkin' ridiculous.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2014 22:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa...that's hot for the night. It gets hot in NY in the summer, but it usually drops down to at least 70F / 21C at night.

Still, as Ugh says, it's really the humidity that kills.
Whenever I think of unpleasant summer weather, I think of this moderately accurate U2 lyric:
In New York summers get hot
Well into the hundreds
You can't walk around the block
Without a change of clothing

When it comes to summer attire, I've since learned to stick with 100% cotton and/or linen. I'm not about to wear a polyester suit, but blended stuff tends to make one bake more - and the much touted 'stain resistant' stuff just means that it doesn't breathe.

Oh to be worried about such problems right now. [Wink] (Still - at a dreary 43F/6C with light rain, I can't complain.)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2014 14:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's the heat

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2014 18:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Sometimes it's the heat

Yeah, and when players sensibly decide not to play in such dangerous conditions, they're widely criticized as whiny little bitches (by people who watch the tennis on TV, in air conditioned comfort).

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2014 21:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn...playing in that is crazy. That sort of heat would be mighty unpleasant to stand in, let alone to endure while performing strenuous tasks.

A 10 minute break doesn't really help when your water bottle is melting on the court. [Wink]

Similarly, I think Bikram Yoga is superbly punishing and I'd think it utterly evil if not for the outcome on one practitioner I know.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2014 22:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it was worse than predicted, 43, 42, 44, 44. (that's 108F to 111F) but the cool change has come though, and less of the state burned down than was feared, so I'll breath a big sigh of relief and bask in the glorious coolth of the 23C day.

We have a Finnish exchange student arriving on Wednesday, I'm glad the horrible heatwave is over, as the 65C temperature difference from her home town would have been brutal.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 19, 2014 13:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, dat's HOT! [Eek!] [devil wand]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture