homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » One for Steen, and one for Xanthine (and one for the road?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One for Steen, and one for Xanthine (and one for the road?)
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 22:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linker of horrors first...
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/hey-presto-opera-switches-to-webkit/

It's the end of an era folks. Bring your bookmark bar to half mast. Opera may not be the most prominent browser, but diversity is good, and they've pushed CSS into the forefront, AFAICT. Personally, I use it when I want to use 'another browser,' and I loathe IE/Safari. I use Opera on my iPod Touch when I want to use less bandwidth and get snappier loading pages. Alas, this doesn't pay the bills (but Opera Mini is supposed to be doing that in spades for lesser phones). The only comfort I can take in some of this is that as Chrome (and ugh, Safari) take more market share, I get the distinct impression Microsoft is losing people for good. I may mourn the demise of a unique Opera, but I would be plenty happy to see the end of IE.

And for the lab rat who conquers mountains:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/a-secretary-to-match-the-setting/

I'm a little behind in my reading and just saw that today. You probably already know about it, but if not...it should be right up your alley. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 23:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about it a a few days ago and my initial reaction was to be concerned. After thinking about it, though, I'm believe okay with the switch. The rendering engine isn't the reason I like Opera. It's the customizable interface and the site preferences that I like.

This is what the top of my browser looks like (well, normally it's quite a lot wider and you can read teh entire URL). Simple, clean and it makes it easy for me to enable/disable javascript, plugins and animated images (goodbye animated ad banners) along with a couple of other preferences that I use frequently.

As far as I can tell, the switch to the webkit rendering engine won't remove any of those features, so Opera should still retain it's unique identity in most respects.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 11:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Citi-Bank ad makes me think of Xanthine and her breaking a helmet.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2013 22:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

And for the lab rat who conquers mountains:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/a-secretary-to-match-the-setting/

I like her. Hopefully she'll be up to the task, or be surrounded by competent staff.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 10:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. Just to make sure my beard hasn't greyed prematurely - I just edited my own topic title successfully 10 days after creating it.

Huzzah! Long live Snaggy! [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture