homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Aussie heatwave is off the scale - literally. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aussie heatwave is off the scale - literally.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2013 23:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know it's hot when the weather bureau has to add 2 new colours to its temperature colour scale..

Meanwhile, in some parts of oz the fire danger is officialy rated as 'Catastrophic'.

Not too bad here in Melbourne, but the rest of the country is really taking a beating.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2013 06:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD I have been following the news. Our local Salvation Army and Red Cross are getting supplies ready to ship.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5837 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2013 12:52      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I hope you and your extended family all stay safe and (somewhat) cool.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1740 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 08, 2013 20:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa!

When I was in Menindee in NSW, the outback was green. It was a very wet February comparatively. Can't imagine it at those temperatures!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2013 20:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, I have seen numbers that are insane, Are you ready to take lessons from the Bedouin?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5837 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2013 21:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, some of the reports from the outback are pretty crazy, towns with 7 consecutive days over 45 C (113 F), and the obligatory pictures of people frying eggs on the the footpath.
We never passed the 50 C mark (so those 2 extra colours didn't get used) but the outback town of Leonora made it to 49 C (120 F).
We did break the record for average temperatures across the country a few days ago, 40.33 C (104.6 F) - that's a pretty high average for a continent.

Still, I shouldn't whinge, it's not too bad here in Melbourne. The main hot weather system is to the north of us, there's the ocvcasional bit of spillover (41C a few days ago, 37C tomorrow) but mostly we're getting pretty normal weather for the time of year.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2013 05:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing that things can go wrong, if you must travel take excess water and head towels you can dampen the towels and wear them to lower scalp temps, you have to keep the mind cool.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2013 16:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, in Onslow, Western Australia, a dust cyclone that came from the ocean..
 -
 -

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2013 11:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I've never seen anything like that. It's beautiful, and a bit eerie. Australia seems to be getting quite a thrashing these days.

--------------------
Ugh!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2013 19:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Wow, I've never seen anything like that.

Neither have I.
Cyclones are typically associated with torrential rain, a Dust Cyclone, coming in from the ocean, is just freaky.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2013 06:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we in fact observing Global Warming?

To borrow a phrase from Cher, "Can We Turn Back Time."

To this observer it really appears that storms are becoming more frequent and stronger.

Has Mankind really mucked up our Planet?

How do we fix or repair what we have done?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2013 07:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The statistician in me says that one heatwave doesn't prove a trend, and the fact that 7 of Australia's 20 hottest days on record (average temperature over the whole country) have been this year, proves nothing beyond the fact that we've had 7 really hot days, and we don't have a lot of records.

However, the realist in me says that pointing this out to the residents of Moomba, who have just endured a 49.6C/121.3F day, or Birdsville, who have had 21 of the last 22 days over 40C/104F (and the one 'cool' day was 39.8C) would probably result in a broken jaw.

For me, the really scary statistics are global, for example it has now been 27 years since the world experienced a month that was colder than average.

p.s.
Melbourne continues its run of good luck in this hellish heatwave, today was a very pleasant 24C, and there's only one really hot day in the 7 day forecast.
</smug>

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2013 07:40      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dust from the ocean is weird, but every other year or so a storm will come up from the sahara and cover everything here with a very fine layer of sand. ( I live north of the Alps.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2013 08:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Sky-Warn Spotter" in me has made me notice a few things. The last two summers we have had Cyclone activity in our county, usually that is a several year spread.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2013 18:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the freaky weather just goes on and on.

Druidling V1.0f returned from a weeks camping trip in Tasmania yesterday.

(Yes, camping.
In the Tasmanian wilderness.
In a record heatwave.
With bushfires.
I am not a caring parent.)

It snowed.

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2013 06:44      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

p.s.
Melbourne continues its run of good luck in this hellish heatwave, today was a very pleasant 24C, and there's only one really hot day in the 7 day forecast.
</smug>

For the love of $DEITY, don't jinx it!
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2013 19:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here near me we should be in the dead of WINTER. There is usually an ICE FISHING Contest next Week Called Shiver on the River. Last year and this year it will be held from boats and Bridges.

Photos from last year. M/Live

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2013 13:19      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article in (I think ) the NY Times recently, which I CBA to find a link for, that said the number of severe weather events worldwide is indeed on an upward trend in the last few years.

I am personally not convinced that human activity is the sole cause of all the weather ills in the world, but spewing massive amounts of various gasses into the atmosphere over the last 100+ years cannot be helping anything.

Also, snow?! in a heatwave?! WTF? were they at a high elevation?

--------------------
Ugh!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2013 15:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, snow?! in a heatwave?! WTF? were they at a high elevation?

Western Tassie is quite mountainous, there's some scary wilderness there, but they were camping, not exploring.

The snow fell when they went to Cradle Mountain, which is 1545 metres high (that's about the altitude of Denver, Colorado).
In mid summer, during a record heatwave, snow at the peak would have been remarkable.
Snow at the national park campsite, which is at about the 800 metre mark, is just plain wrong.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2013 14:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man, who's grave did you aussies pee on, anyway?

Seriously, though, I wonder if shrinking ice over Antarctica is screwing with your local climate?

--------------------
Ugh!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2013 20:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
man, who's grave did you aussies pee on, anyway?

God's punishment for naming a city after Charles Darwin

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 08:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the river is froze now, three days of sub zero F the warm up is supposed to come next Monday. We are burning a lot of propane to heat the house.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 14:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our weather was stupid warm last week (two weeks ago?) as I left Pittsburgh to drive home, it was 22.5c! Today, it's -29c here at home.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 21:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...it's 15 F (-9 C) here. It's going to be a cold week...
It was 50 F out on Saturday. WTF?!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 08:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here in the Huron Nat. Forest the temps are controlled by The Ice Cover of Lake Superior. When it freezes over our temps. drop like a stone. Well The Lake has almost Froze over.

Great Lakes- Lake Superior

Those South and East of Lake Superior hang on.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture