homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Fit Sat-1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fit Sat-1
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2012 05:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on cloud cover some of you may get to see this.

FIT SAT - 1

Its pathes and viewing time can be found on Heavens Above by Chris Peet.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2012 19:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone else who had a TL;DR moment:
http://www.arrl.org/news/fitsat-1-satellite-to-flash-leds-over-the-us-and-europe

(Hat tip: Google)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9168 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2012 04:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here at the HillTop we had cloud cover.

The message should be: .... .. -.. . -. .. .-- .- -.- .- .--- .- .--. .- -. .-.-.

“HI DE NIWAKA JAPAN.”

--------------------

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2012 19:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just outside hoping to see the sun reflect off of the birds solar panels, from my location the first half of the fly over it would have been in the sunlight. I could hear the Morse code sending telemetry however I could not make visual.

I did not go soon enough for my eyes to adapt to the darkness, I was probably night blind, I did see many stars just not the FITSAT 1

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2012 19:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...while that was a novel, arguably geeky pursuit, I think this is an insanely great Space Thing on the Internet:
http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2012/12/15/space_station_tour_commander_sunita_williams_shows_you_her_orbiting_home.html

It is indeed long, but not as long if you visit youtube.com/html5 and enable that mode, which lets you speed the video up.

I feel like I just learned something really meaningful on the Interwebs today! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9168 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2012 06:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dman, That was very informative.

Think about the locking rings, the devises that join modules together. Inner most ring has the first set of gaskets. Then the intermediate ring and it's seals then the outer ring and it's seals, and Clamps.

About eight years ago The Mrs and myself took our oldest grand-daughter to KSC at that time the European module was not yet clean and tourists were allowed to pass through, one month later and clean room, visitors now could look through windows.

I had not thought about inertia affecting the long booms holding the solar arrays. I do know that heat sinks have to have fans as the warmed air will not rise away from the radiators.

I have been lucky enough to have visited KSC four time in my lifetime, what a place for a geek. However it is hard to get away from the tourists that just look and have no clue as to what it took to build that device.

When you get a chance to tour there, be sure to get the bus ride tour some of the drivers are characters them selves. Too bad that much of the visit is like going to a theme park.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.