homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » How is this Bullying?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is this Bullying?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2012 07:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CNN

As I see it she got punk-ed, not Bully-ed.

Our eldest G-Daughter is a Senior and a Cheerleader at this High School, There was a huge LEO presence and six Sat trucks plus a News Helicopter.

The locals won by one Field Goal.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2012 23:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who was always the odd man out, I say this was bullying. It's emotional abuse, which is not a prank; it's bullying. I'm glad she was able to keep her head up, though, and that so many people supported her after the truth came out.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2012 09:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some more of the story, This school has a pay to play athletic (no tax dollars support sports) program. I as GrandPa spend a lot of time at sports events selling fifty/fifty tickets, working at the concession stand. I also attend most home and many of the Grand Daughters and Grand Sons games, so I am not an outsider looking in. To the cheerleaders I am known as "(TheMoMansGrand Daughter's) GramPa"

This person is the perfect example of a "Whiner" we need some crackers and cheeze. What the media failed to do is actually talk to any one outside of this girls circle of influence, Some one nominated her and she got enough votes to become the 10th grade representative to the Queens Court. Nowhere did the media mention that a Special Needs Student was Elected to be the Home coming King.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2012 19:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...I'd say it sounds like she was treated like crap by her classmates.

While I think that's par for the course for high school, it's not right and shouldn't happen. I think the local media probably wanted to make a bigger story of it, and I see that CNN has link after link on that article about this to most likely generate more pageviews. (I didn't quite get what the 'prank' was until I read the link in the middle of the article. Blah.) These days, more people are focused on the idea that bullying is *bad,* and I'm a pretty big fan of that. Teenagers usually can't see the forest for the trees, and being subjected to bullying can make one's life pretty damned miserable, without realizing that life usually gets /much/ better later on in life. (And some of those extremely miserable kids commit suicide which is well...very bad.) If people can go without some of this crap because others care, I say all the more power to them.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2012 20:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the people that think of them selves as geeks do not fit the mold of most popular in High School. We were only good for copying tests results. I was the 50Kilo weakling all through HS and a Geek too. I was out of school five years before I filled out, This kid does not know what bullying is. I do know that I would no longer fit in a locker.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2012 23:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
This kid does not know what bullying is.

So now it's a contest of "my bullying was worse than yours"? All bullying, no matter how small, is still bullying. A little bit here and a little bit there adds up to a whole lot of emotional residue.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2012 00:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This kid does not know what bullying is. I do know that I would no longer fit in a locker.

Boys bully with fists.
Girls bully with words.
The scars are just as real.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2012 00:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
This kid does not know what bullying is. I do know that I would no longer fit in a locker.

Boys bully with fists.
Girls bully with words.
The scars are just as real.

And if I'm to believe everything I've heard/read, the girls are considerably more vicious with their words than the boys are with their fists. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2012 06:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now we have a good discussion going on.

I agree that there may be gender differences. How ever some of U-tube videos seem to show girls throwing punches.

Boys are more likely to videotape or film.

USA question does either presidential candidate remind anyone of a past school bully?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2012 19:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I sure know that one of them is rumored to be 'quite the prankster.'
(*groan*)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2012 20:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, I sure know that one of them is rumored to be 'quite the prankster.'
(*groan*)

<Romney>
I pulled that prank about the 20% tax cut for everyone that would't cost the government any revenue, AND THEY FELL FOR IT!
LOL!
ROFLCOPTER!!!
</Romney>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture