homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Cell Phone Carriers AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGH!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell Phone Carriers AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGH!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2012 09:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having fits over coverage, Number one My carrier is dropping the type of service I use, Iden.

Number two we are on the cut-rate unlimited plan. That sounded so good on TV.

Here are the details, consider a tower for cell usage, it may have the ability to serve fifty customers at a time. So how does it decide? If you have a contract phone, monthly plus overage you are guaranteed a spot. if one is available. If you have a bulk phone possibly a family plan, or an unlimited voice, data, and web service you are flying stand-by. Contract users served first.

The towers know from a block of data sent from your phone when it signs onto any given tower. It is embedded into the EIS signal sent to the tower, every so many minutes. This is also checked against the carriers records on some form of schedule.

Net 10, Trakfone, and one other I do not remember have their orders of service but use other carriers towers. So if choosing one of those make sure your phone will work where you want it to.

Because we live rural in a tourist area, Weekends during the Summer, all of the Contract users come here to visit the great outdoors. However because they have contract phones they knock us off the towers. This does not apply to text messages, because text flows like data on a network (collision avoidance) texts will usually get through.

I have been told that dialing 911 changes your place in line, however calling there and asking them to redial to a standard exchange probably would not go over well.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2012 21:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little skeptical to the idea that contract users get first billing. I think it's more likely that they're just more chatty because their calls are allegedly cheaper and they're already on the air, so they won't get dropped. Text messaging uses the same data stuff used for signaling and is tiny, which means two things: 1) It's definitely not a problem to get them through easily; 2) It's positively outrageous how much companies charge for them, given the miniscule resources allocated to them.

I suspect, a la Hanlon's razor, that the more likely explanation is that the 'cheap' phones have much crummier roaming agreements, and have access to fewer towers.

P.S. Fun fact about iDEN going away - Sprint is moving PTT customers to a CDMA solution where the PTT goes over data. It sucks badly - it's definitely not Nextel quality. :/ (I no longer have such a phone, but I have colleagues who were 'migrated,' and they did not enjoy the experience.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2012 21:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman I am looking seriously at the trakfone offerings.

We can have the android sitting on the kitchen counter and have it chirp (chirp = loss or regaining signal) up to ten times a minute during times that the tourists are in the area, once they go home good service again.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2012 22:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *HATE* that [expletives elided] chirp on my [work] Sprint Android phone. I get that just from leaving a so-called coverage area, and it mainly pertains to data. I cannot disable the chirp, and it annoys the hell out of me. (I've gone so far as to turn off data, turn off data roaming, and turn off the data roaming protection feature, and the thing still chirps and/or pops up an alert to let me know I've lost data coverage.)

n.b. My maddening experience with that chirp is on a fully paid up contract phone. It's not just you.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2012 06:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Thanks for that info, Here at the HillTop the EVDO phone has about half the reception of the Iden phone. In and out all day, during tourist times.

I wish Alltel was still around. their phones worked here, and all of NE Mi.

Have you tried an OS upgrade?

With Boost we own the phone.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted August 13, 2012 05:13      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It surprises me how I can be useful in this situation. I'm currently working as a call centre agent for TracFone, so if you have any questions about the service, I'd be glad to help you with any questions regarding the service.

TracFone (and its subsidiaries) use the 4 main networks for service (plus US Cellular and Claro in some areas). The most used is AT&T, followed by T-Mobile and Verizon. Sprint is only used for some Android phones for Net10 and Straight Talk (the LG Optimus series and the Huawei Ascend II); the ZTE Merit uses AT&T's nework and the Samsung Galaxy series use Verizon's.

If you want to bring your own phone, you can as long as it is a GSM phone, so you'd be restricted to AT&T or T-Mobile networks for service.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2012 06:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Wolf VI Thank you for the offer, however I am sure that Nitro & Snaggy do not want their band width used for a Cell phone help desk. I have been looking into the matter, and still have time before the plug is pulled on Iden.

dragonman97 I am not sure what menu G3 is buried in however if that is turned off CHIRPING really goes down, call quality stays the same, but text and photos, take forever.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2012 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is BS. Last Fall we bought a Tracfone through wallfart. Guess what we let the card run out and did not renew soon enough now we can only renew through WALLFART I hate their business model. Any way I got a Net10 phone on the V network that little sucker works, even out in the woods.

Now the question.... We have this android on the S network. I have heard that it is possible to root the phone and turn it into a V network, does anyone know if and how this is possible?

While tring to solve our phone problems I found these USA Maps.

Coverage Maps for all prepaid carriers.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2012 07:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Wolf VI I wish to thank the company you work for, the small basic phone I bought has worked excellently for me. Now it appears I have to lay out bucks to get the MrsMoMan a smart phone from Net10.

Our local vendor supposedly has some on order.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture