homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Infi + plane = awesome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infi + plane = awesome
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2012 04:39      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So today I took another flying lesson and was sneakily told just before the runway that I would be taking it off. Let me tell you take offs are way more fun when you have the controls.

I highly recommend it for the more adventurous souls.

[Smile]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 04, 2012 13:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool! I wish I had it together enough to learn to fly.

[Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2012 17:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a rush as you open the throttle and release the brakes, put a little pressure on the elevators and now you are looking down.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 04:12      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck yes, and a bit of rudder to keep her going straight.

The even bigger rush is landing the thing, it looks like you are diving at the runway and at the very last few seconds just cut the power pull the nose up and float glenty onto the wheels.

only another 37.2 hours minimum to go [Razz]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 19:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:

The even bigger rush is landing the thing, it looks like you are diving at the runway and at the very last few seconds just cut the power pull the nose up and float glenty onto the wheels.

As an observer I always find the landing the far more unnerving experience. †

Takeoff has always been my favorite part of flying - I think it ties into the primeval sense of "More power!"

† Part of that also simply has to do with the pilot, plane, and perhaps airline. I recently flew JetBlue and was reminded of how much I love them. Fun takeoff and thoroughly calm landing. A Continental flight I took last year had me thinking a fierce stream of expletives...bleh.

Props to you, Infi! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 21, 2012 12:10      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger that Infi! One day I will have at the controls. Need to find the dough for that. Been co-jo on a coupla flights. Flying in a 172 is always fun.!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2012 13:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best take off I ever had was a winch launch on a glider. It is amazing how steeply they climb!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2012 18:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys ain't lived until you are riding in a A1E Sky-raider being shot off of a Carrier. 250ft and you have airspeed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2012 18:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need a machine to fly?
Amateurs!

@Infi: I am full of envy. I was all set to learn ultralight flying some years ago, but She Who Must Be Obeyed vetoed the project.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2012 05:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, Build or buy a Hovercraft or Ground effect ship. Not really flying but not bound to lakes, rivers, and oceans. The acceleration is a hoot, much different than an auto-mobile, Dial up the power and you start forward slowly then the pace accelerates until near sixty mph then starts to fall as speed continues to build.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2012 04:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
TFD, Build or buy a Hovercraft or Ground effect ship.

Can I just have a really cool submarine instead?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2012 06:48      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
You guys ain't lived until you are riding in a A1E Sky-raider being shot off of a Carrier. 250ft and you have airspeed.

Some how I doubt the US navy would let me, no matter how nicely I asked, If you can wrangle my a trip up in either an F-18 or an F-15 that would be fantastic [Wink]

Hell I'd take an F-86 or the maritime equivalent for that classic feel [Wink]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2012 08:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infi. Over powered prop. planes get the closest to that feeling. On the carriers most of the prop. pilots did not Salute the Cat Officer at full power but at half power, because the prop. planes could and often would bolt ahead of the Cat. getting unhooked (called a Short Shot). The jets built power much sower, their biggest acceleration came in the last half of the shot. Get a ride in a citabria they have a very good power to weight ratio.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture