homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Tim Tebow? On DWTS? Should he or shouldn't he?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tim Tebow? On DWTS? Should he or shouldn't he?
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2012 22:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, Dancing With the Stars pro dancer Karina Smirnoff told People magazine that she'd like Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow to take it from the gridiron to the dance floor:
quote:
"All I want for my birthday is for Tim Tebow to dance on 'Dancing with the Stars," she said at her Las Vegas birthday bash on Saturday. "Tim is a very talented athlete, that was clear when we saw his performance this past season with Denver."
Now, of course, as both a DWTS fan and a Broncos fan, I'm uniquely qualified to weigh in on this. [Big Grin] There are some questions that are raised by this possibility, which I will discuss:

Would the producers and ABC extend Tebow an invitation? Granted, Tebow is a polarizing figure, but ABC has put polarizing figures on DWTS before. On the plus side, Tebow, as the most popular athlete in America right now, would be a guaranteed ratings draw, and his clean-cut personality is the perfect family-friendly image Disney would like to project. The only real stumbling block might be the whole religious thing; could they put up with him telling the judges "God bless" and thanking "my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" every time he got a good score? Would they think he'd drive away more viewers than it would attract, just because they don't care for Tebow's brand of Christianity? I think they'd probably just shut up and deal.

Would Tebow accept the invitation? This one's harder to judge. Part of it is, could he accept the invitation? As you may know, Tebow was injured a fair bit in that last playoff game against the Patriots. Rib injuries like Tebow's take 4-6 weeks to properly heal, I'm told. DWTS Season 14 begins in mid-March, and couples usually train together for a month before the first airdate, so he'd have to start training in mid-February. He might have time to heal before then. Barely.

Aside from that, would Tebow feel he could afford to take the time to participate on the show, rather than spend more time working on football? (We're talking a maximum of 14 weeks; I don't know how close that puts him to training camp by the time the show ends.) Would the nature of some of those dances, such as the Latin dances, offend his Christian sensibilities? (He turned down a spot on the Playboy All-College Team for just that reason.) Would he view it as nothing more than a cheap media stunt, and not worth his time? (Speculation is that this is why he declined an invitation to appear in the broadcast booth for the AFC championship game.)

Or...would he view it as a God-given opportunity to reach out to even more people, and bring more attention to his charity ventures, such as the hospital he's building in the Philippines? And, I dunno, maybe he wants to learn to dance? In the end, I can't call this one; I would expect Tebow to talk with any number of people, and ultimately, to pray for guidance in this matter. And, who knows, maybe God will give the OK. Ad maiorem Dei gloriam, as the saying goes.

Would the Broncos be OK with Tebow appearing on the show? That would probably be up to Broncos Head Coach John Fox, although Broncos Vice President of Football Operations John Elway (!) might have some say in it, too. Active NFL players have appeared on DWTS before; two examples that come immediately to mind are Hines Ward and Chad Ochocinco. (Both of whom, ironically, Tebow just played against in playoff games, against the Steelers and Patriots, respectively.) But neither of them were starting quarterbacks. And it's well known that Tebow will be working on his passing game during the offseason, with the help of Elway, who just might know a thing or two about that. [Big Grin] If he's practicing his dance steps instead of his long bomb for 14 weeks, does that seriously hurt the team next season? And what if he gets injured (possibly re-injured in his ribcage) during the competition? It has happened, you know.

My gut feeling on this one? Fox is known to be kind of conservative in his coaching; it wouldn't surprise me if he erred on the side of caution and told Tebow "no." But a lot might depend on how enthusiastic Tebow is over the possibility.

So the answer seems to be a definite "maybe."

How would I feel about Tebow appearing on DWTS? Are you kidding?!? I would probably go to full reporting coverage for the season for that reason alone! It'd be a touch of class for the competition, with Tebow addressing the judges as "Ms. Inaba, Mr. Goodman, and Mr. Tonioli," leading prayer circles backstage, and maybe, after nailing a tough routine, Tebowing right there on the dance floor to send some thanks to the Man Upstairs. NFL players, as a rule, tend to do well on the show, and Tebow would too; he'd be working his butt off every week to learn, and taking the judges' comments to heart. Would he go so far as to hoist high the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy? I don't know...but I'd love to find out!

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture