homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Darth Vader Burger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Darth Vader Burger
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 09:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try it, but I'm nowhere near France so it's safe to say I won't get the chance.

-

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 10:05      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe quick is a belgium restaurant chain and not a french one.

If you aregue with me then tim horton's is an american chain.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 10:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first French Quick opened in Aix-en-Provence on July 19, 1980 ... as of December 31, 2004 [Quick] operated over 400 restaurants in Belgium, France, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Andorra, Luxembourg, Spain, Russia and Armenia.

Maybe the promotion is going on in Belgium and other countries as well, but the various stories that I saw all said France (I hunted around for the one with the best image quality and linked just that one).

... and I'm no closer to Belgium than I am to France (further away, actually).

... and Tim Horton's is owned by Wendy's International, Inc., an American chain whose corporate headquarters is in Ohio.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 13:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Repatriation

On 29 June 2009, Tim Hortons Inc. announced that, pending shareholder approval, the chain's operations would be reorganized under a new publicly-traded company, also named "Tim Hortons Inc.", incorporated under the Canada Business Corporations Act. The change was being made primarily for tax purposes.[32][33]

On 28 September 2009, Tim Hortons Inc. announced it had completed the reorganization of its corporate structure to become a Canadian public company.

tim hortens is canadian and quick is belgian

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 13:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving on...

3D *and* Episode 1 at the same time? Going to see that is possibly the most epically bad idea ever!

Oh good gawd, I just had an image of a 3D Jar-Jar seared into my brain. I need to go wash my eyeballs out with some soap now...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 18:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
Quick is belgian

And the ad campaign with the Dark Vador burger appears to be going on in France. Unless you can prove the ad campaign actually going on in Belgium and not in France, the location of Quick's corporate office makes no difference.

Way to miss the point.

Ugh, MightyClub wrote:
Oh good gawd, I just had an image of a 3D Jar-Jar seared into my brain. I need to go wash my eyeballs out with some soap now...

Wait... wait! Before you wash your brain out, take a moment to imagine THIS in 3D

-

NOW you need your brain washed out.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 21:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am blissfully ignorant of what y'all are having seizures about. Whoever thought being stereoblind would be such a blessing...
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 22:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to avoid 3D because it tends to make me feel ill. Plus the effect doesn't really do anything for me. Filmmakers are more likely to score my money if they invest in an actual story line rather than gimmicky effects.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2012 22:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I am blissfully ignorant of what y'all are having seizures about. Whoever thought being stereoblind would be such a blessing...

wait; can you not use both of your eyes at the same time?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2012 08:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

wait; can you not use both of your eyes at the same time?
No it could mean she has monovision. My mother was born with it. One eye focuses close while the other one focuses far. Unless both eyes have the same or near same focus you do not have stereoscopic vision.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2012 19:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^I think that's the closest explanation.

They both work. Just not together the way normal people's eyes do. So though I perceive depth but I do it differently from most of you (and since I was born this way it wasn't like I had a hard and painful time learning how to do it). At 3D movies, all the glasses do is sharpen the image. My viewing experience in a 3D theater is the same as it is at home or a conventional theater, except at the 3D theater I have to wear the stupid glasses to resolve what's on the screen. Annoys the shit out of me but all you normal folk like it so much you're willing to pay and Hollywood's willing to meet the demand. I'm just grateful they're using techniques that result in a normal image for me (not all do).

One added bonus to my eye-whackery is I don't see double. Ever. All kinds of fun at the eye doctor's office. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2012 22:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was asking because I have family thatcan only use one eye at a time. which is wacky in that bifocals are done by having the far away things for one eye glass and the near for the other.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2012 23:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably end up with normal bifocals as my eyes actually trade jobs over the course of a day. I only know this because I've occasionally lost a contact.

Anyway, to drag this thread sorta back to topic...is it just me or is that black bun a little frightening?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2012 06:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the dark bun, a pub I used to frequent. Made a fantastic Roast beef, on Dark rye sandwich. Add a little horseradish and it was superb.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2012 21:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Vader-voice>
The Sauce is strong in this one...
</Vader-voice>

@Xanthine: Sounds like you have the same thing I do.

Now that I'm an old fart, I'm beginning to appreciate the usefulness of having a 'distance eye' and a 'reading eye'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2012 10:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Bill Bryson once said, the 'Quick' in 'Quick Burger' is short for 'Quick -- get a bucket!'. Never eat there.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture