homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Whoooo Boy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whoooo Boy
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 09:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will it become darker?  -

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it could get any darker unless they accidentally set off their nukes. (Please, Kim Jong-un, keep your fingers away from the buttons.)

I'm not terribly optimistic, but I really hope they get their act together and start feeding their people. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:42      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russian TV showed about 10 minutes of wailing and weeping North Koreans mourning Kim Jung Il. Strange to watch considering everything we know about that place... but it makes sense in a twisted way as well... strange place, strange world...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 23:38      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Russian TV showed about 10 minutes of wailing and weeping North Koreans mourning Kim Jung Il. Strange to watch considering everything we know about that place... but it makes sense in a twisted way as well... strange place, strange world...

You have to keep in mind the place is a lot like Russia during the late 1930s - not weeping and wailing resulted in a 10 year vacation at your favorite Gulag if you were lucky, or a lethal lead overdose (approximately 7.5 grams between the 3rd and 4th vertebrae) if you weren't so lucky.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 02:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZSR, you sure you don't have that backwards?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 15:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Like many here I have been following the events in North Korea. Many of the pundits have been calling for appeasement like reactions and not confrontation, is this correct? I know that hind sight is far better than foresight, If Hitler had been confronted would things turned out as they had?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 19:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
ZSR, you sure you don't have that backwards?

Why, wouldn't you want to spend some quality time in a beautiful snow-covered forest? I thought you were an outdoorsy type [Razz]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 19:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Many of the pundits have been calling for appeasement like reactions and not confrontation, is this correct? I know that hind sight is far better than foresight, If Hitler had been confronted would things turned out as they had?

In the 1930's, 'Appeasement' meant "If we let Hitler have Austria and Czechoslovakia, maybe he'll leave us alone".

Today, 'Appeasement' seems to mean "Not picking a fight with a country whose government I dislike".

And picking a fight with a country that actually has nukes seems kinda dumb.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 19:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Like many here I have been following the events in North Korea. Many of the pundits have been calling for appeasement like reactions and not confrontation, is this correct? I know that hind sight is far better than foresight, If Hitler had been confronted would things turned out as they had?

At least he managed to scare away many of his scientists and constantly interfered with the ones who weren't lucky enough to escape, otherwise ME-262 might have entered service as early as 1943, along with a nuclear-armed V2 and a whole lot of other scary little toys. Can you even imagine what would have happened if nazis got their hands on a jet fighter and a ballistic missile with an atomic bomb strapped to it well before they were defeated and driven back on all fronts, with their industrial base fully intact?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 01:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Many of the pundits have been calling for appeasement like reactions and not confrontation, is this correct? I know that hind sight is far better than foresight, If Hitler had been confronted would things turned out as they had?

In the 1930's, 'Appeasement' meant "If we let Hitler have Austria and Czechoslovakia, maybe he'll leave us alone".

Today, 'Appeasement' seems to mean "Not picking a fight with a country whose government I dislike".
[...]

Zany thought: I wonder what the world would be like today if we hadn't gone around arming 'allies' to the teeth during the Cold War to fight off the risk of 'those damn commies.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 04:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Zany thought: I wonder what the world would be like today if we hadn't gone around arming 'allies' to the teeth during the Cold War to fight off the risk of 'those damn commies.'

You mean like Iran (under the Shah) and Iraq (under Saddam, when he was "a son-of-a bitch, but our son-of-a-bitch") or Afghanistan (when they were brave anti-Soviet freedom fighters)?

But don't worry, that's all in the past, there's no way Uncle Sam would be still be arming extremist nutters like the Saudis or Pakistan...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 05:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Wow This topic stems from the division of a country that did not want to be divided, as a spoils of War.

____ How many other divisions are still being fought?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture