homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Black Friday stupidity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Friday stupidity
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 14:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew Lopez went to the Wal-Mart in Porter Ranch on Thursday night for the Black Friday sale but instead was caught in a pepper-spray attack by a woman who authorities said was "competitive shopping."

More on that, plus a guy who was shot in the parking lot at Wal-Mart in California and two people firing guns before running into a mall in North Carolina (but then again, it's NC... they may have just been celebrating finding a low price on beer).

Yay consumerism.

*sigh*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 15:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*double-sigh*

Today has been a day of tryptophan-recuperation, and I prefer to celebrate it as 'buy nothing day.' Well...I'm probably going to bend that rule this year to get a cup of coffee, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't violate the spirit of things. :-)

I hope everyone (in the US) had a happy Thanksgiving, and also that our fine friends up north had a happy one last month!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 20:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most I did was go to Starbucks for overpriced coffee and average tasting scones. But the drive through was doing fine and the people inside looked pretty frazzled.

I am a cheap bastid, but not so cheap that bargains are worth more than my sanity. So instead of braving the fierce world of rampant consumerism, I played with my cars. Much more satisfying.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted November 26, 2011 00:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even understand what the madness is all about. I've dropped by Best Buy around noontime today to see the blood-stained floors and trampled bodies, and most of the doorbuster items were still in stock at that time, other that the uber-cheap, probably [email protected] 40" TV.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2011 15:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 16:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too funny Druid.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 06:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MrsMoMan and myself did get out on Black Friday we were looking for a small flat screen TV for use in the motor home. So armed with the ADs we went looking. The store in question, is a wanna be in big box stores, and I often dislike their methods. Yes I saw the notice that there was only going to be TEN/store, I did not see on the last page that some items "may be subject to prior sale".

Yup we get there early, get in the store, we are then informed that "that item is sold out. Can I interest you in this model." We left the store.

So since we were near a Tim Horten's, we stop to get coffee, again we went to the one that sells warm colored water, poured it out and went to Micky D's.

So the Mrs. spent almost a month to convince me that Black Friday was a good deal, No TV, Bad Coffee, and a long drive back to the Hill Top.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 10:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gone out for some Black Friday deals in the past. In general, I've found they come in four flavors:

001) Great deals. These are expensive, highly desired items which are available at a much lower price than you'd get any other time of the year. Typically only a very small number of the item will be available. It's also possible that the item won't be available if the item was subject to previous sales and people bought the store out the day before or the store just didn't get a shipment in time.

If the item isn't available, I've notice that it will often be in stock if you go back Saturday, although it will be for the regular price. It's just a coincidence that their shipment arrived just after the black Friday price expired.

If the store does have the item, you have to be among the first few people into the store, run directly for it. In some cases, you may need to physically fight others for it.

010) Good deals. These are cheap items which are on sale at very good prices, but let's face it... a $10 item for $2.50 isn't that great a deal even if it is 75% off. These are usually available in large numbers since the hope is to use them as a loss leader to lure customers in, hoping they'll buy something else with a profit margin that makes up for the loss. Customers who are lured in at noon spend as much or more as ones who are there at 5am, so they want enough to last through the day.

011) Okay deals. These are items that are on sale for slightly lower prices than sales prices you could get during the rest of the year. These will be available in good quantities because the profit margin is close to what they would normally expect on the item and they don't want to run out, but don't want overstocked either.

100) Screw you deals. These are items that are "on sale" for close to the normal price or even more than the original price. Circuit City was bad about this before they went bankrupt. A TV that normally sold for $300 might have a retail price of $450. A "sale" price of 20% off would be off the retail price, giving you a $300 TV for $360.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 10:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Store chain I was writing about often practices Bait and switch . I may have convinced the Mrs. that it not worth the effort to go there.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 15:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in oz, the 'Black Friday'; thing happens on Boxing Day (the day after Xmas).

It pretty much matches GrumpySteen's description above, a small number of really cheap items, and the rest...
...not worth losing a good nights sleep over.

I only did it once, wouldn't bother doing it again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 16:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in CONUS we have McArther day "I Shall Return" the first business day after Christmas.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture