homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » To all on the East Coast...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To all on the East Coast...
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 00:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck tomorrow. Hopefully those of you who need to run have done that by now.

And isn't it amusing that the name Irene means peace?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 01:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...it's been an /interesting/ day attempting to prepare for the expectation of a power failure @ work.

As to Irene and peace...I have trouble believing that after one Irene I've dealt with, let alone the one holding steady over the Atlantic right now.

I'm looking at this map (below), and making miserable mental extrapolations of that friggin' /huge/ tropical storm circle (and the smaller hurricane circle).
http://www.nytimes.com/projects/hurricanes/#!/2011/Irene

Hang title, angryjungman!

(I'm not sure how many other folks around here are going to be in the path of landfall for the hurricane. With any luck, we'll be getting it as a tropical storm, though it's going to be...damp and probably a little breezy.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 10:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Dman... and Jess... and whoever else... including me, sorta. :-)
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 11:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin got off Long Island yesterday. My niece has health problems and doesn't need to be without power.
Hope everyone else is safe and sound with a stockpile of batteries.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 12:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay safe Dman, Jessycat, and so many others!

Wow, this could get [crazy]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 13:05      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I'm not in an evacuation zone, and I'm not in a high rise, so I should be ok. They cancelled all Broadway shows for the weekend, so I'm basically planning to enjoy the time off! I've got lots of food (fresh and dried/canned), water, wine, flashlights, candles, wind-up radio... and a bag packed right next to the cat carrier in case we need to leave... but I'm hoping to stay put and have a fine old time. [Cool]
Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 13:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah...things should be fine in your neck of the woods.

Wet to be sure, but safe no doubt.

Here it's simply a matter of trees. Trees and power lines. [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 19:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope everyone is ok.

I've gotta say, this is weird.

Here in oz we're used to cyclones (as hurricanes are called in these parts) flattening banana plantations in the far north, I'd have thought New York was a good 10 degrees north of the danger zone.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 19:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is rare for a hurricane to make it that far north. That doesn't mean it never happens. List.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2011 21:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...this is feeling more true than it should:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/weather

Mind you, Bloomberg & the MTA were right in shutting down mass transit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 07:37      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, Irene was an utter disaster -- my power went off at 5am -- which means I had to wait until I got to work before I could have my morning coffee. [cry baby] (I should do one of them First World problems posters or something... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 07:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo

invest in emergency equipment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 09:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurricane Irene leads to at least 25 deaths

Some of those aren't really hurricane-related, though, like the two SUV's colliding because a red light was out.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 14:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
For me, Irene was an utter disaster -- my power went off at 5am -- which means I had to wait until I got to work before I could have my morning coffee. [cry baby] (I should do one of them First World problems posters or something... )

Huh...I thought it would have left you alone - it was much slower, I thought it was going to be way northwest of you. :/

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 17:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
spungo

invest in emergency equipment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

A former co-worker of mine had one of those. We called it the crack pot.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2011 08:10      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Huh...I thought it would have left you alone - it was much slower, I thought it was going to be way northwest of you. :/
Yeah, it didn't amount to much around here -- some noisy wind during the night, a bit of rain -- but NS Power don't need much of an excuse to lose power lines -- a mouse sneezes in New Zealand and 300 homes in the Valley are out of juice -- that kind of thing.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture