homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Steve retires as CEO ... !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve retires as CEO ... !
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted August 24, 2011 19:05      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-from-apple/

End of an era ... again

--------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2011 19:52      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite this, I still hope he will remain with us for a while longer.
Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2011 21:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll still be around as Chairman of Apple. It's like he's kicked himself upstairs. [Big Grin]

In any event, I believe he'll still be around for some time to come, influencing Apple's product directions.

IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2011 21:29      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pancreatic cancer is a tough puppy to beat. He's lasted longer than most. My uncle was gone 4 months after diagnosis.

I hope for Apple's sake that he has groomed some visionaries.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2011 02:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the NYT article about steve retireing, on the cover, they are running a picture of steve with my first computer.

-

I am just excited because no one remember the IIc.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/08/24/business/20110825_JOBS_337-slide-JVL7-hpMedium.jpg

ps

after 20 minutes of trying I have discoverd that the NYT makes it very difficult to post a link to thier pictures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/technology/jobs-stepping-down-as-chief-of-apple.html?hp

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2011 06:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it this picture?
http://www.cedmagic.com/history/apple-1-2-steves.jpg

Or maybe this one?
http://pubphotos.postbulletin.com/photos/thumbnails/2011/8/24/Apple_Hans.jpg

Of course I may be overestimating your age. You didn't say -which- IIc you had.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2011 06:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Is it this picture?
http://www.cedmagic.com/history/apple-1-2-steves.jpg

Or maybe this one?
http://pubphotos.postbulletin.com/photos/thumbnails/2011/8/24/Apple_Hans.jpg

Of course I may be overestimating your age. You didn't say -which- IIc you had.

Thanks, the second one. And you would not be overestimating my age, I got my first computer when I was 5 in 1984. Which was technically the family computer, the first one my parents had bought whole and didn't have to build themselves.

I didn't know there was more than one version of the apple IIc. I am still upset my parents threw it away when I went off to college. I learned programming on the thing. THough I don't think Apple LOGO is a usefull programming language any more.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2011 11:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were two models of the Apple IIc, though they looked similar. I've heard people mistakenly call both of these IIc too, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_IIcx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_IIci

And Logo isn't entirely useless if you use one of the compiled versions like Lhogo or Liogo. Neither is anywhere near as capable as a modern language, but simple programs don't require that much capability.

As for Jobs, I hope he hasn't actually waited until he's no longer capable of fulfilling his job duties despite what his letter says. He deserves a few more years to enjoy life with no obligations, meetings or deadlines.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 11:56      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our first home computer was a Trash 80 complete with tape recorder. LOL If you bought even one share in Radio Shack you got a store discount, which we used on the computer. The first I messed with was a PDP 11.

I hope he gets to have some quality family time.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2011 12:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Apple IIc was the first computer I ever used. My elementary school had a computer lab full of them. I think I was in 3rd grade when they expanded the lab by adding a bunch of IIgs's.

Sad to hear about Steve. Does anybody remember that when he came back to Apple he was supposed to be the "interim CEO?"

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 15:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, baby, we got Trash-80s in my elementary school when I was in second grade. My classroom had the cassette option *and* a whopping 64k of memory! It showed up while I was out sick, but I quickly made up lost time and had my
code:
10 PRINT "HELLO"
20 GOTO 10

skills honed to perfection. I was totally bummed after 6th grade when my father refused to get a TRS-80 of our own so I could keep working on my Electric Pencil files forever.

Actually, my third grade teacher went through several Apple computers. Not sure where she got the budget, but she sent at least a couple back before settling on a... no idea, some flavor of ][. Kids played Oregon Trail on it, but I don't remember ever being allowed to use it for some reason. (And not because I was a hacker, either.)

My high school programming classes were done on Bell & Howell machines that were apparently rebadged Apple II+'s.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2011 22:23      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Far East bureau, another tribute from a running geek:

In Tribute to Steve Jobs, Tokyo Man Runs Giant Apple Logo

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2011 00:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Does anybody remember that when he came back to Apple he was supposed to be the "interim CEO?"

Or "iCEO," as he put it at the time. But, in that time, he took a company that was languishing literally on the brink of bankruptcy, and turned it into the most valuable computer and consumer electronics company in the world. Not to mention completely reinventing the cellphone as we know it; reinventing the way people buy, store, carry, and listen to music; breaking the backs of the RIAA mafia and creating the biggest music store in the world; building a retail empire with greater revenue-per-square-foot than Tiffany's; reimagining the laptop computer; and pioneering a whole new class of computing devices that will turn the computing world upside down the way he did twice before.

Any one of these accomplishments would qualify him as a titan of industry. If there's someone who's earned his retirement, Steve Jobs is it. But he's not all that retired...the Hand of Steve will still be behind Apple for as long as he draws breath, and beyond.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture