homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Farming with Dynamite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Farming with Dynamite
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2011 08:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine that it's 1910 and Dupont is trying to boost sales by marketing dynamite to farmers.

BOOM

From Page 7

Plowing with Dynamite.

Ordinary plowing merely turns over the same old soil year after year, and constant decrease in crops is only prevent by rotation or expensive fertilizing.

With "Red Cross" Dynamite you can break up the ground all over the field to a depth of two or three feet...

Indeed. Why would anyone plow when blowing the entire field up is an option? I wonder if this wasn't the beginning of the south's love of fireworks.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2011 09:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, but farming with dynamite is pretty well-known around here. To the north side, there's a hardpan layer that can make growing orchards difficult, so word is that many farmers took to using dynamite when planting to crack the hardpan over a fairly good-sized radius, allowing taproots to grow unhindered.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2011 09:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you think badly of me if I confessed to reading page 6 to find out why the ladies were so keen to 'touch' Mr Williams?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2011 11:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was obvious from the text on page 7 that they enjoyed taking his previous lo... you know what, I'm not gonna go there.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 00:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if I could mow my lawn with dynamite??... neighbours might complain... could always mow the neighbours as well... I wonder when I'll stop typing aloud...???...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 01:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, ploughing one's driveway using infra-red frikkin' lasers from space -- that's my idea... I should patent it or something.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 05:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I wonder if I could mow my lawn with dynamite??... neighbours might complain... could always mow the neighbours as well... I wonder when I'll stop typing aloud...???...

quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Now, ploughing one's driveway using infra-red frikkin' lasers from space -- that's my idea... I should patent it or something.

Actually, I recall there were those fairly powerful consumer lasers that probably could burn the tips off of grass with a little time. I'm sure that could be worked into a lawn mower, albeit probably pretty slow, and the heat probably wouldn't be good for the grass

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 05:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, shoulda clarified -- my frikkin' lasers-from-space invention would be for ploughing snow in winter. The frikkin' lasers would melt the snow... from space!

--------------------

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 06:34      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US had plans to go even further and use nuclear explosives for digging and engineering purposes too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare

and Russia did similar experiments and created underground storage chambers for natural gas with the blasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Explosions_for_the_National_Economy

Dynamite's for wusses [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 08:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just spray antimatter across the fields. Any grass, hardpan, tree trunks, rocks, abandoned vehicles and stray velociraptors will be instantly taken care of.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture