homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Five Things - Summer time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Five Things - Summer time
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2011 08:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We haven't done a five things in a while, so I thought I'd toss one out there

1. What is your favourite picnic food?
2. Where is your favourite place to holiday?
3. Do you tan or burn?
4. Do you have a favourite beach read?
5. Best summer memory?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2011 09:07      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macaroni salad. Homemade to my fairly boring but picky standards. Just macaroni, Miracle Whip, cucumbers, red/yellow peppers, salt, pepper, and maybe some celery seed.

Hmm. No particular favorite, but I do like the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Niantic ("on the Atlantic") in Connecticut, and the Adirondacks. Oh, and Williamsburg, VA.

3. Do you tan or burn?
Burn. Stupid fair skin.

Nothing special for the beach, just what I would normally read. Spy books, murder mysteries, sci-fi, etc.

5. Best summer memory?
Probably the week the Clubs spent on the Outer Banks with my parents, younger brother, and my uncle and his family. We rented a huge house a block from the beach and had a great time doing not much of anything. The weather was mostly gorgeous. The only bad thing was our youngest fell off the edge of the hot tub and hurt her wrist midweek. After we got back home we discovered she had actually broken it! (The buckets of sand and water she'd been carrying around all week were misleading indicators, apparently.) But all that just makes it more memorable...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2011 09:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) cold fried chicken

2) far away in a new place

3)both

4)books on popular science i.e.richard feynman

5)driving to the smokey mountains with my girlfriend in college, who became my wife, though a bit later.

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 08, 2011 13:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
potato salad!

Currently Tofino, B.C., but really anywhere, on holiday.

3. Do you tan or burn?
Burn bad, then tan.

My iPhone: Twitter, email, Forums, web. [crazy]

5. Best summer memory?
swimming at my mom's cottage as a kid

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2011 13:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A crusty bread stick and a huge tub of hummus

Anywhere with mountains, the bigger the better.

3. Do you tan or burn?
I'm a readhead, 'nuf said.

I like to get one of those huge anthologies of Sci-Fi short stories, but I don't read it on the beach, see my answer to (3)

5. Best summer memory?
Um, this is a family forum, I might skip this one.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 03:58      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramen pasta salad.

I love floating down the Ichetucknee in an inner tube. We saw 3 hawks and 6 turtles the last time
3. Do you tan or burn? I burn and can even burn down the part of my hair.
4. Do you have a favourite beach read? I ususally take something I've read before, so if I get distracted it doesn't matter. Dragonbone Chair usually.
5. Best summer memory? Going to the Jersey shore with my family before it's name became associated with drunken imbeciles.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 05:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your ramen pasta salad also called hirashiramen in japan ( and other places)?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 06:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not. You make it with ramen noodles, broccoli slaw and a rice wine vinegrette. It is really good though.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 07:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably something with tomato.

Ooh, that's a toughie - typically somewhere across the pond, further north, where it's nowhere near as hot as here. [Smile]

3. Do you tan or burn?
Hmm...that implies time spent in the sun. What's that? [Wink]
(While I do spend time outside, I very much avoid lots of direct sun. It's usually too damned hot, and I detest sunscreen, and don't want skin cancer.)

See above, re: sun. The beach is not a very frequent destination of mine; when I go, it's usually to enjoy the company of friends, not books. I prefer to read under the shade of a tree, ideally besides a river or lake (failing that, at a park).

5. Best summer memory?
Hmm...probably last summer's awesome travel, and time spent with friends in great places. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 08:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Probably not. You make it with ramen noodles, broccoli slaw and a rice wine vinegrette. It is really good though.

Seems based on this traditional hirashiramen summer dish though.

Hirashi ramen is cold ramen noodles ( freshly made, not freezedried). with cold ham, sliced omolette, cucumber bean sprouts and maybe somethign else.

But it is also served with vinigrette of rice wine vinegar and tamari ( I think, my ramen bat won't give me the recipe)

It is the best thing to have in sommer, plus, the ramen bar, which you can never find a seat inin winter, is usually nearly empty in sommer so tehre is little waiting.

:-D

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture