homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Look out, Steen!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look out, Steen!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2011 16:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/tenn-law-bans-posting-images-that-cause-emotional-distress.ars
quote:
A new Tennessee law makes it a crime to "transmit or display an image" online that is likely to "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress" to someone who sees it. Violations can get you almost a year in jail time or up to $2500 in fines.
Uh oh. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2011 17:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to go with emotional distress

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2011 18:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Steen.

I imagine this is probably meant as an adjunct to online harassment and stalking laws. Like posting pictures of somebody's kid's school or something. I wonder if the law is worded clearly, though. A lot of the time, it's not the intent of the law that is the problem, it's that the people writing the law expect everyone will understand how it's supposed to apply and the resulting wording is very vague and open to abuse.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2011 23:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close. The change in the law was intended to expand the laws against harassing/threatening phone calls to allow them to apply to online communications as well. That wasn't a bad goal, since the those laws worked well in the past and have seen little or no abuse.

Unfortunately, we elect idiots and the language of the new law is so vague that it can be interpreted in stupidly broad ways.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2011 10:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

/me adds Tennessee to 'Places I can never go again' list.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2011 11:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD wrote:
/me adds Tennessee to 'Places I can never go again' list.

In that case, here's one of the things you'll never see in person.

Of course, this year we've also had a large cicada population come out to molt and breed, so visiting right now might not be as pleasant and relaxing as the previous picture may lead you to believe.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2011 12:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

You mean there's more to Tennessee than Graceland, Dollywood, and The Salt And Pepper Shaker Museum?

It must truly be a place of wonder.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2011 04:34      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Burgess falls reminds me a lot of Tremen State Park in my neck of the woods. Can't find a shot from a similar angle, but here's one I Googled up from below: http://www.pictureoutdoors.com/lower_falls_robert_h__treman_state_park_new_york-wallpapers.html

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture