homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Big Brother *IS* watching you!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Brother *IS* watching you!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2011 12:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this very disturbing story is true, it may be time to wrap your iPhone in your tinfoil hat.

quote:
From TFA:
Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go - and saves every detail to a secret file on the device which is copied to the owner's computer when synchronised.
The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2011 21:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, Time for for every one to use the El-Cheapo Trax fones.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110421/NEWS06/104210478/ACLU-scrutinizes-State-Police-over-device-grabs-cell-phone-data?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/iphone-tracks/

____ One of my concerns is the posts that teenagers send one another, Bubble gummers say things to each other that make this old sailor blush, Do you want some cop looking at what your grand kid texted?

____ The two links from yesterday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/136513/20110420/michigan-police-aclu-data-extraction-cellebrite.htm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

P.S. to all of the above, I just checked my E-mail contained in the E-mail was a news letter from Newsalertusa.com

I am including the last paragraph.

TO SUBSCRIBE

If this News Alert has been forwarded to you and would like a subscription, please sign up for Newsalertusa e-mail alerts.

This e-mail was sent by:
Newsalertusa.com
219 East Dunklin Street, Suite A
Jefferson City, MO 65109

To remove your email from future mailings please click here: Unsubscribe

I have never been to their site before and all of the news stories are ones I had read off of the web. Sort of makes the Amish seem right.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2011 13:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If this very disturbing story is true, it may be time to wrap your iPhone in your tinfoil hat.

quote:
From TFA:
Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go - and saves every detail to a secret file on the device which is copied to the owner's computer when synchronised.
The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.

Not just iPhones, so perhaps give up talking to other people?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2011 13:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can use an application to show the data on a map. It looks pretty cool. Here's mine:

-

Here's the app (Mac only but open source): http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 21, 2011 16:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's mine... very cool to see it visualized. This isn't very accurate though, I've been to Tofino on the west coast quite a few times.

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2011 02:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Me wonders if those really cheap phones at the dollar store record all the towers or only the last one?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056344-281.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2011 12:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More info about Apple's tracking and some vague explanation for why.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture