homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Question for the aussies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for the aussies?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 05:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, Is this the new ONJ (Olivia)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/11/2010-11-11_australian_karen_jacobsen_navigator_voice_for_the_garmin_gps_joins_the_manhattan.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 13:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of her.

btw - On the subject of GPS voices, I'd pay good money for a GPS voiced by Anthony Hopkins...

"You want to eat liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti? I'll help you find some Clarice"

Or the ED-209 Law Enforcement Droid from Robocop...

"Take the next left, you have 10 seconds to comply."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 13:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote for GPS voice would be Bobcat Goldthwait.

"Turn Left! Argghhhh... *whimper*..."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 14:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm holding out for the Fran Drescher GPS voice.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 17:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GS, good thing it has been awhile since I ate, or I would have barfed on my laptop.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 20:57      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one with a Johnny Cash voice. Here's what it says!

quote:

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

I've been to:
Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake.

I've been to:
Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean-a.

I've been to:
Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

BUT THE BRAGGIN' THING WON'T TELL ME HOW TO GET TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 21:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh...that doesn't trouble me...but I'm a proponent of the "Get Lost" movement. [Razz]
(a.k.a. The No-GPS-for-me, thank you very much, movement.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 23:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a GPS.

It can speak Serbian. Rude, grammatically incorrect Serbian. After five minutes, my husband switched it back to English. I think he'd prefer it if it sounded like Angelina Jolie. I think I'd prefer it if it just didn't exist.

It also almost turned us into one of those GPS casualties. You know, the ones you hear about every Christmas. The idiots who drive off on some tricky mountain road, usually in the Oregon Cascades, and are found five days later, completely stuck and lucky if they're alive. Ours almost sent us down a bad idea in Montana. Yes, it would be the fastest way to get to Yellowstone...in the summer. In the winter, it looked like snowy hell. We plotted out an alternate.

It also almost got us lost in Seattle. I say almost because Seattle's my hometown so I got us out of what the GPS tried to get us into. Poor thing couldn't keep its satellite connections. Too many ridges and ravines.

It does, however, spare kreziserb the hassle of reading a map while driving. I'll give it that. Even so, I think it's more trouble than its worth.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 03:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well the electronic big box store GPS units are not long on data. My high end hiking GPS does not do routing, just positioning, and track memory and backtrack, for that purpose it is very good.

____ The trip planner software I bought for the laptop is junk, pure junk. The unit I bought from a company that sells to transport companies is excellent. It will not send me onto roads with weak bridges, into tunnels (The amount of propane we carry is considered Haz-Mat) or steep hills. This is not your Wall-mart GPS. It sits out in the green house of a windshield. I found the menus where the user defines the vehicle, weight, height, carrying Haz-Mat, it picks different roads than the same brand meant for cars. You gets what you pay for.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 05:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on Australia, sorta -- has anyone else noticed that the actress Tilda Swinton seems to be doubling as their Prime Minister?

edit: others have noticed this, too -- so I'm not bonkers. See here.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 06:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo wrote:
While we're on Australia, sorta -- has anyone else noticed that the actress Tilda Swinton seems to be doubling as their Prime Minister?

I'd vote for her

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 08:42      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Eh...that doesn't trouble me...but I'm a proponent of the "Get Lost" movement. [Razz]
(a.k.a. The No-GPS-for-me, thank you very much, movement.)

I whole-heartedly second the dragon's sentiments! The best things in life happen when you go off the map.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 12:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I also agree with Dman, when we are in the van, the pickup truck or on the bike. However when one is piloting ten tons down the road it is nice to know where you are and how much longer to "are we there yet." I have found that the time estimate function to be very accurate. Spooky accurate. Also having the road speed displayed just below line of sight means that my eyes do not have to go as far to check the speed.

____ Now the perverted question, what does she say when in the bedroom, "You have reached your destination?"

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture