homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » o.O

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: o.O
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 14:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://inhabitat.com/2010/07/08/in-vitro-habitat-a-house-made-of-meat/

*speechless at the stupidity of the idea*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 17:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...okay. What happens if your house gets infected?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 23:16      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I hadn't thought about infection.

I diverged at the point where he started talking about sustainability.

It's one thing to grow funny shaped bits of muscle or skin around a form in a lab. When you start introducing the structural elements like bones, or features like sphincter doors and windows that open and close in response to stimuli, you've just created a honking big organism that needs to be fed and maintained, and will continually produce waste products as a function of its continued existence.

(Also, to do the things he talks about, it would require at least a rudimentary sort of nervous system.)

It's the opposite of sustainable. It would be the SUV of houses.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't thought about infection either. My first thought was "every stray dog and cat for miles around would be well fed, at least"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Don't go there that house has the [Applause] or the syph. Oh the puns could get mean.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 16:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say I want to wake up one day with maggots flowing from the ceiling above my bed... has someone perhaps taken the green concept a little too far?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture