homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Valve is giving away Portal for Mac and PC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Valve is giving away Portal for Mac and PC
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 13:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's through Steam, so you gotta use their client, but hey... free game.

Clicky click

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 13:37      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheeee! I have been wanting to try Portal for a while. I knew it was coming for the Mac (finally!) but getting it for free too? [Applause]

Thanks for the info - I'll get it as soon as I am home! [Smile]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 14:23      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portal is a really great bit of game design. Definitely worth getting. Even if you're not a fan of FPSs, don't be put off because it's more about thinking than quick reflexes and shooting. Nice length, nice humour, nice story. Can't wait for Portal 2.

And Steam for Mac makes me so happy. No more restarting into windows to get my TF2 fix. Those few lost seconds could have been spent building my sentries!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 16:35      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never been a gamer but I'll try it for that price.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 05:41      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's our bandwidth maxed out for a day to get Portal. Anyone know if you can copy the install from the cache to install on another Mac or if you have to download on each one?

Also noticed Torchlight's on there as a Mac/PC version at 50% off too, so will probably nab that too.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Windows, you can install the Steam client and copy the steamapps folder over from the other computer, then open Steam. Once you log in, it recognizes the games and works.

I don't know if that will work on Mac, though, so you may find yourself needing to wipe out the client and reinstall.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:20      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read the usage agreement for Steam. (Yes, I did. Well, most of it. When dealing with a new player, I like to know what to expect.) I didn't like much the part about "we won't give away your private information... unless for a dozen reasons, and there's nothing you can do about it" part, but for what I understand, if I stay clear of those reasons (multiplayers, buying physical stuff like t-shirts and other merchandizing, making sure to opt out of any "do you want to [share your info|be contacted later|other]", etc.) it should be manageable.

Now, somewhere in there, it is also written that you cannot instal downloaded software on more than one machine - save for the Steam softare itself, as long as you comply with half a dozen conditions. (Those are a "duh!", really.) And anyway, even if the new Macs have Intel chips, the OS librairies do not match, so if in the code, there are calls to Windows-only functions, it still won't work. So I worry you will have to download a new version. Nice part is, you can do it in slices, for what I understood. If you close the Steam interface in the middle of the download, it will resume the next time you open it. So just open Steam while leaving for work, and close it when you need your Internet connection.

Oh, and I couldn't get it to download yesterday, but they got it working. It was still downloading when I left home for work. I may get to try it this week-end, but really, if I can avoid using Steam, I will. I'd even rather pay for the software than use that "all your usage data are belong to us (and we will do what we please about it)" gaming zone. "Pretty strings flying in the wind"? Yeah, right! [devil wand]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Mac version is different, but the Windows Steam client will let you install on multiple computers. I'm not sure what, in the license agreement, lead you to believe otherwise.

In the Steamapps folder, there's a common folder which holds the files used by all user accounts and then each user has a folder. Under the user's folders are files which, I assume, are probably keyed to the user's account. Portal's files are in the user folder, not the common folder, so I would guess that they can't be copied over for another user. As long as you're logging into Steam with your user account, however, the files will work for you (and I've done this myself to move saved games over from one computer to another).

I probably should have said in my previous post that you can copy the files as long as you're using the same user account on both computers, because they are tied to the account, but that seemed obvious to me. If you're trying to install Portal for a second user, you do need to buy it and download it using that account.

Also... everything in my profile on Steam is either blank or a lie, so I don't worry too much about privacy (and the financial stuff is done via one-use CC numbers) [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did get the part of installing the Steam client on many computers. Perhaps it's the Valve license agreement that specifically tells you have the right to install on only one computer... (It is already a pain to read those licence agreements, it wouldn't suprise me that reading two plus a privacy agreement had resulted in some mix-up.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 12:08      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mainly it's a pain if Adam and I are buying the same game when we have to download individual 4GB copies on a 1mb ADSL connection (usually a day apiece). So games where we can both buy licenses but only download once are rather more practical.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 14:48      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my Internet was too slow to download games, I emailled Valve support to ask if I could copy the game files from a friend's computer. They said it was supported, but I never got round to trying it. This was two different accounts (we both had licences) on Windows.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture