homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Going home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going home
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 21:16      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my tour in Iraq is quickly coming to its end, and after nearly a year here, I am ready for it! Then its only a few short months before I'm discharged, and I can finally go home to my beloved Utah! w00t

I miss you guys. I chat on freenode now, if any of you are ever on freenode, msg terrible. thats me [Big Grin]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 02:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ bull3t, Be prepared for culture shock. While you were away, you changed, and your friends changed, The interactions you used to have will be much different. Things in your hometown changed, things in your head changed.

____ They do not have the same "frame of reference" as you now, theirs does not include some very basic things you picked along the way, you learned "to stay alive, that every thing, every sound, and every half light could spell a threat."

____ Don't be so serious, but you won't be able to turn it off, the little guy in the back of your head will be on gaurd the rest of your life. A strange sound in the house will change a pleasant dream into a nightmare. Sex will not even be the same as in the back of your head, Can I trust her?

____ Your friends will not understand and they do not want to, they do not have the same "FRAME OF REFERENCE."

____ You will come to find that you better understand your enemy, than your friends.... Each month it gets better, don't make big life changing choices for at least thirty months, it takes time to get your head back on, and it won't be the same head you had, it fits different now.

____ "Welcome home, and Good On Ya"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 09:40      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theMoMan, thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. It will definitely be interesting [Razz]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 10:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Been there done that. Most people that have never heard a bullet whine, do not want to know what or how you did what you did. They have formed an opinion from the NEWS and do not want to know the truth, they are afraid of the truth, You will find kindred souls at the AM.Leg. VFW, DAV and Viet.Vets Motor Cycle Club. They have at least been there in their heads, and in reality.

____ Be sure to take the PTSD test from time to time as your scores will change. I do not need the gun under the bed anymore, nor my survival knife under the pillow, my wife bless her some what understands that some times I just lose it.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 04, 2010 13:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to hear the news that you are back home safe and sound.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 13:59      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! About friggin time too.

Not sure when the next time will be that I may be up in the SLC area, but I will make sure to let you know.

And let me know the next time you are in So. Cal. first round on me.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 12:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you will be home soon! Triple check your paperwork during discharge so you get any and all benefits coming to you.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 04:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! And Magnificent Valour.

I can't wait to hear you're home, safe and sound.

<3

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 01:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bull3t, a heartfelt THANK YOU for your service to our nation!
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture