homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The rampant growth and infiltration of technology in our lives? Not so bad, actually. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The rampant growth and infiltration of technology in our lives? Not so bad, actually.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 06:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, I would feel better about using such a system, however here in back woods USA. Again the world has shown us we are a bunch of hicks. Most of the people here have to have their computers dumbed down to their level. Lets go back to Cobal.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 08:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
This is one of the ways I do online banking. ( I also use 128 bit encryption and I have heard that only 64 bit is used in america, can anyoen confirm?)

I have not seen a web page encrypted as 64bit since the 90's. 128 is the standard here.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 15:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ TFD, I would feel better about using such a system, however here in back woods USA. Again the world has shown us we are a bunch of hicks.

To be fair, the system I worked on was for high value transactions, typically in the millions, (eg transferring payment for a tanker load of oil when it arrived in port) so it was worth paying several hundred pounds for the smart card reader to make it secure.

These days you could produce a USB dongle to do the same thing for a few dollars, if the banks got off their spotty behinds they _could_ make electronic banking secure, but they CBA.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2010 03:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, to be fair to the Banks they were too busy writing junk loans, however the device you wrote about was over TEN YEARS AGO.

____ I just bought a radio kit that has an EEPROM chip for band switching, RX/TX offset, twelve different memories that contain a total of four slots for IF+- and that chip is less than a USD.

____ Using the economies of scale a Bank could probably get one for every customer plus have it built into a USB dongle for the same money.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 02:02      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done shroom. I swear the partner from your past life really has a set of big brass ones.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2010 21:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
Well done shroom. I swear the partner from your past life really has a set of big brass ones.

That she does. But life goes on. And I got my answer from the state.

As I had feared, those cash payments are lost forever and ever. So in the end I was on the hook for about 1100 dollars and some change.

Unfortunately $200 USD is being removed from my check a month to pay that amount, but it should be done by Christmas.

Now while that part does stink, I am at least free and clear for over 8k and that is a relief. And while I do have to pay twice, I was also assured that I can never again be called in about this stuff. So once this is done, it is done for good.

I am far from happy about the whole situation, but I am glad that what they are taking from me is manageable and that once this is over, it's over.

However, I will have to say that if it wasn't for my bank, I would have been up the creek.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2010 21:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom: Blah....
At least this chapter will be over soon enough. [Smile]

MoMan: In hindsight, I may have misunderstood part of your idea - I thought you were suggesting security 'software' that interacted with a website to complete a handshake. That would be hell to pull off.

OTOH, something with a boring Java app† on it that simply decrypted a two-factor authentication code for you...would be perfectly fine. [Big Grin]

† Java: Because it's just so easy to run on any platform. ;P
(Realistically, a standalone .exe & .app would probably do the job just fine...and let Linux folks either use Java or a .sh binary.)

Perfectly boring OTP using paper works too...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2010 14:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
...I thought you were suggesting security 'software' that interacted with a website to complete a handshake. That would be hell to pull off.

It seems that what you are suggesting is already out there..

Linky to manufacturer.

Several big banks are pushing it in the UK, but it gets a massive thumbs-down from users because it is...well... horrible.

YMMV etc.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2010 14:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummy, that is close to what I envisioned but not exactly. That plus a E-PROM in a USB dongle that contains your account info incripted of course The banks website would look for the dongle, if it was present then, no login, it just works, not present you are advised to call the service desk.

____ All the data would only be available to the banks website, only they would be able to unlock the dongle.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2010 22:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooooooooooo.....

It's Sony rootkit season all over again! [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2010 09:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I am pretty sure that the general idea could work. A company out Indianapolis builds the most user friendly Machining Center in the market. Almost any Machinist can be taught to operate the things. The software is a trade secret, and if run on a PC requires that their Dongle be plugged into the COM port. In the dongle is a special TI chip thet will self destruct if a logic probe is attached to the devise. No Dongle, no program. The companies field rep. in Japan had a standing order for replacement chips as they kept blowing across the pond.

____ I believe that the chip was built to detect impedence changes and to flash the light, thus no dongle, the Machining centers also had a simular chip. The Chip did the three axis geometry needed to generate tool paths.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture