homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I started a group on Facebook called 10000 in space in 10 years

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I started a group on Facebook called 10000 in space in 10 years
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 02, 2010 17:07      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tell the truth, I am sick of all this pussy footing around when it comes to space exploration. The entire WORLD needs to start lobbing millions of tons of hardware and PEOPLE into space! Think of the stimulus to the international economy! New technologies..... new career names when haven't even dreamed of yet!! 1,000 people a year into space? Why not? Inflatable habitats, generating oxygen and water from the Moon, asteroids, comets and planetoids... Let's get going, people!!!
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2010 18:56      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joined! Even though I have no useful space-skills... [Razz]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 04:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Its going to take a really big ladder.

____ Do any of you remember the space elevator idea? Launch a geosyncronis SAT. run a cable back to earth, to run the elevator cars on.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 04:47      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan of the space bungie concept. An 80,000km long bungie cord is wrap around the equator twice and then stretched to double its length with a rocket glider hooked on the end.

On releasing the glider, the bungie twangs and lifts the glider (with rocket stabilising once it's above usable atmosphere for lift stability) to 80,000m with a nice kick of forward motion which should be enough to throw it into orbit.

The biggest problem with this plan is how to avoid the falling bungie cord from wiping out most of the equatorial regions.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 05:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Zwilnik, Campers and hikers use "rapidly decomposing toilet paper" use that for the sheath. The rubber bands when exposed to the ozone and UV will decompose rapidly.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 09:56      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
On releasing the glider, the bungie twangs ...

I'm in if the bungie is designed to make a cartoony "boi-oi-oi-oi-oing" sound.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 10:44      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
On releasing the glider, the bungie twangs ...

I'm in if the bungie is designed to make a cartoony "boi-oi-oi-oi-oing" sound.
"The Boing that was heard around the world (4 times)" [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 12:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ No worry about the bungie cord if you use one of these units??

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

____ All that money wasted on space projects and theses guys are puttin Pumkins in orbit.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2010 17:26      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how it almost seems xkcd is following this topic.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture