homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Moving ain't fun.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving ain't fun.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 21, 2010 16:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuk, don't you hate moving? That's what we've been doing for hmmm, almost a month and a half now. [tired]

We overlapped an extra month to make moving easier, but in reality, I think it's harder because we keep avoiding going back to the old place to sort/throw out/pack/cleanup.

Anyway, here I go, back to the old place, which ironically is looking better and better as we empty it out. Meanwhile our new place is looking worse and worse as it fills up with boxes. [cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2010 17:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Not Again?? ___ I hope you have a better view of something, it would be a shame if there was not a better something.

____ It appears that you two have worked out a plan, one packs and loads. The other unloads and unpacks. You're not going back to Ontario are you???

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 21, 2010 21:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, not back to Ontario. I doubt I'd ever move back there again. Mild winter and clean air and views and ocean and mountains covered in snow and glaciers have stolen my heart. I do miss Georgian Bay sometimes though.

We're just a few miles from where we were, and the view is still nice. Hope to get a webcam up at some point.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2010 23:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I move on tuesday, and haven't been packing enough. This weekend will be stressfull, and so will the move as my wife will be out of town on business that whole week.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2010 03:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Very good timing that one.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2010 06:09      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Very good timing that one.

Actually she doesn't want me to start unpacking, even things like pots and pans I'll need for cooking, for fear taht she won't have a say in where tehy go.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2010 09:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ ASH. It's a trap.

____ I'm willing to bet that if you follow her directions, when she gets back you will hear, "You haven't done anything!!!!"

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2010 09:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah! We still have a couple boxes in the basement that haven't been touched since we moved in a little over 8 years ago.

And as far as having a say where stuff goes -- when we bought our house Mrs. Club's grandmother helped move some stuff. While we were at work. She made a godawful mess out of the kitchen cabinets. But the worst part is we didn't bother fixing the lack of organization until I installed new cabinetry this past fall as part of our kitchen remodeling project!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 26, 2010 07:23      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck yeah, I hate moving with ever fiber of my soul!! Because of my divorce, I have moved three times in the last two years, and will have to move again when I sell the house. I am getting rid of everything that's heavy, and putting everything else in plastic storage containers!! Anybody want an old Mac IIx? How about a 13" CRT SVGA Monitor? A broken microwave? Some old broken vacuum cleaners?????? lol
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2010 00:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The previous owner of my new house left me two broken lawnmowers. Not an easy thing to dispose of as the garbage truck wont take them and I have no car to drive them to a place that will.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2010 10:50      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Place lawnmowers by curb with sign that says "Free". I bet they disappear.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 27, 2010 17:34      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a great business idea. A moving company that makes moving fun. Like they help you pack, clean up, do all the hard stuff, and then, have a whole day of catering, movies, upside down clowns on your first day moved out, then an organizer comes in gets everything organized in organizer things. Then a couple hours with a therapist specializing in hoarding and squalour behaviour. And then Tom Jones comes over and performs for an evening of fun like you've never had in your life! [Applause]
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2010 19:12      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
That would be a great business idea. A moving company that makes moving fun. Like they help you pack, clean up, do all the hard stuff, and then, have a whole day of catering, movies, upside down clowns on your first day moved out, then an organizer comes in gets everything organized in organizer things. Then a couple hours with a therapist specializing in hoarding and squalour behaviour. And then Tom Jones comes over and performs for an evening of fun like you've never had in your life! [Applause]

Hmm, theme moving. That could be a winner. Maybe a team of performance movers that can translocate you based on your favourite TV shows.

You could do an exciting sci-fi 'emergency evacuation' move where everyone is dressed as space marines and have to pack and move everything (into space age boxes) before a timer runs out and the 'ship' explodes. Possibly with an alien sneaking around and bumping people off every now and again too so by the time you launch the escape pod (moving van) it's only you and the cat left.

Then there's murder mystery moving. Can you solve the murder at the stately home while helping pack it up for the winter?

Also the musical move. Everyone starts on a musical packing number and just as it gets going, someone tags you with a sleep dart so it works like one of those montages and you wake up with the move all done.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 00:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:

I am in the last house on the street before the forest, Only I would ever see these things on my curb. I don't know yet if they work.

There is no flat rate trash disposal here, all trash disposal charged my wieght and size making getting rid of these two thigns expensive.

And teh worst, I could be fined for trying this. I have seen couches ect. on the curb with "free" signs on them, and they usually also have a ticket from the police on them saying remove this or be fined.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 00:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

You can hire people to do everythign and sit around and drink while you direct them. It is just REALLY expensive. Like, buy a brand new car expensive. Then to book Tom Jones on top of it is Montgomery Burns Expensive.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 07:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:

I am in the last house on the street before the forest, Only I would ever see these things on my curb. I don't know yet if they work.

There is no flat rate trash disposal here, all trash disposal charged my wieght and size making getting rid of these two thigns expensive.

And teh worst, I could be fined for trying this. I have seen couches ect. on the curb with "free" signs on them, and they usually also have a ticket from the police on them saying remove this or be fined.

Congratulations, your country's laws are stupid.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2010 10:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving is a pain. I've been told by friends that they are not moving my books again. LOL Good luck to all of you shifting chattel.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture