homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Anyone frozen yet (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone frozen yet
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 14:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering how you all are faring in the various global freezes. I've not gotten frozen pipes.. yet. (Tend to fret about this as I had burst pipes on a Super Bowl Sunday. Hard to find a plumber then. [Smile] )

So keep warm

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 15:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome to some of the heat we're getting here.

The weather bureau are tipping temperatures up to 41° C (106°F) before the cool change comes through on Tuesday.

Email me a few gigatonnes of snow, and I'll email you a few gigatonnes of hot sand, that should even out the temperature balance a little.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 16:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Hi All, I am not sure if it is old age or cold. If I wear socks and PJ Pants to bed I usually do not have sore feet in the morning, however this year it does not appear to be helping. Also I keep forgetting to put on my insulated boots when I go out side, when I come in my feet really hurt. The boots for you Canadian members are made in the Baffin Islands, The Baffin indians should know how to make insulated boots.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 17:45      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our main supply pipe has frozen, despite being buried underground! Fortunately it's a plastic pipe so shouldn't burst, but it means we don't have mains water. Currently got the bath filled with snow (to melt for flushing water) and various buckets filled with water from the neighbours.

Had to do a 4 mile hike to the nearest village for supplies today as our access road was blocked by sightseers who got their cars stuck and we needed the exercise anyway.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 18:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My water pipes have been fine, but the drain pipe for the clothes washer in my utility room froze. That was an unpleasant surprise when I threw a load of laundry in Monday morning before work.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 18:48      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it odd that it's so cold all over, yet here it's not really terrible for January. Usually it's near or below zero (F) overnight by now, but it's only been getting down to about 10 above. Mrs Club assures me it's supposed to get F-ing cold tonight. We'll see.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 08, 2010 19:29      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could use some of the heat here, too. We're not supposed to have seasons, but we're passing through a heat wave so strong, that there are wildfires in Bogotá's west hills, for example.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2010 21:42      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's snowing here again. It warmed up a little bit and melted some of the snow on the roads, so they're a little nicer, but I don't know how long that's going to last. We've actually never had the pipes to the dorms freeze... but we have had the occasional freeze in the pipes in the science building, which is really not fun if you don't know it and pour something hot down the sink.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2010 07:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well last winter the pressure switch for the well pump froze in the off position, the cause was my fault. I had left the crawl space vents open. I am thinking about going down there and putting some heat lamps near the plumbing. An one hundred watt IR heat lamp puts out a lot of warmth.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2010 09:51      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got our water back [Smile] Had the heating on constant last night to avoid any chance of it freezing up and a loud gurgling announced the defrosting of the supply pipe for our water this afternoon.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2010 11:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No frozen plumbing to speak of around here, but 'tis damn cold at times. (It's a tepid 26 F out now.)

At least none of that white stuff is coming out of the sky!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2010 12:44      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daytime temperatures have risen to a balmy minus three Centigrade, from minus eleven a couple of days ago. I know minus eleven won't seem too bad to many GCers, but it is pretty freaky for these environs. [Smile]

So, we just have a foot or so of frozen snow hanging around from last Tuesday. Our ancient boiler is performing well, so things are not too bad, really.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 09, 2010 20:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I say it's been super mild here on the beautiful west coast of Canada, and the flowers are now starting coming up? No, I won't do that, that would be annoying. I know it used to bug the crap outta me when I lived back East.

[evil]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 02:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy, actually that area has fewer snow birds (retires that travel to warmer climes) than any other area of North America. Heat sink, I could not think of a larger example of moderator to temp. swings. The only draw back is the humidity, it must be over 40% almost every day. You and Nitro also get a little more than your share of rain. Some time list the number of days below freezing and the number of days above Thirty C. Vancouver has to be Canada's Hawaii.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 11:37      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear pipes are unfreezing and people are okay.

Lost the furnace yesterday, but he came right away and replaced the igniter. So we didn't freeze in the night - us or the pipes. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 13:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up 3 hours south of Snaggy and Nitrozac. Yes, flowers will bloom at this time of year, but it's rather depressing because there's still a chance for a freeze. And the daylight is still a bit scarce. I also didn't like the thaws because that meant it was getting warm up in the mountains and that was bad for snowboarding. It also dries out in the summer. The winter humidity never bothered me before I left and never bothers me when I return, but kreziserb says it makes him feel cold.

So far so good in Colorado. Got hideously cold but the car and the water are running. I live in a condo/apartment/whatever-the-fsck-you-call-it complex and am not allowed to replace my rather crappy windows or do anything else about the incredibly inefficient heating system they've got going so when the mercury starts hovering in the single digits or lower we really feel it indoors. Even though the heat works fine, we still feel it. And the HOA won't upgrade and then has the balls to bitch at us about the amount of oil we burn every winter. Okay, fine, it would be expensive to swap out our current system (boiler and baseboard radiators) with something entirely new, but would it really be that costly and terrible to switch to solar heating for the water? Boulder is infamous for its sunlight. We're like a solar mecca. The only places that get more sunshine than we do are in the actual desert. And would allowing those interested to have good double-paned windows be such a chore?

Fortunately, our very spiffy digital thermometer has an indoor probe as well as an outdoor probe so I have instrumental verification that the heat is, in fact, working. This is handy for when my hubby goes into a panic and wants to call the building supervisor because he's not sure our heat is working (it has broken a couple times in the past, on the coldest day of course, so he's actually being kinda rational about this).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 10, 2010 15:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan, I don't notice any humidity here, 'cept for when it's raining. [Razz] In the summer, there's nothing like humidity they have back east... those horrible hot and humid days... yuk. Cool ocean current keeps it nice.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 16:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus nature balances itself.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 17:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Xanthine, oh how I wish to have hydronic heat again, This house has a extreme high eff. forced warm air unit that sucks, yes I went and bought the high end comp. controlled heat anticipator themostat for the thing, however after thirty five years with hydronic I hate forced warm air.

____ If the present boiler fails suggest that mang. look at two medium units, less cost to run in the long run.

____ About twenty years ago GM & Fiat were in a deal that sold same light set diesels for Condo & Apt. units the excess electricity was sold to the local utility as the units ran to make hot water for hydronic heat. Now that Fiat and Chrysler are in the same bed I doubt that joint venture is still on paper.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 19:34      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Thus nature balances itself.

Indeed.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may get chilly in the winter and hot in the summer, but I still love NY and wouldn't have it any other way. [Smile]

Besides, we got under 1" of snow (powder) on Friday and it was absolutely beautiful to drive around and take in the sights. We have yet to receive any snow storms that leave us with more than a foot of snow, but while those are a nuisance, they're kinda nifty...especially if they cause work to be closed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 22:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

____ If the present boiler fails suggest that mang. look at two medium units, less cost to run in the long run.

Every time I interact with management they come up with some new thing to try and fine me for. They have yet to succeed as, while I flagrantly ignore and sometimes push the rules I have yet to actually break any, but it's getting rather tiresome. Usually the next round starts in the winter, when the supervisor remembers how I once had to call him in the middle of the coldest night of the year because my heat gave out and I had the cheek to want something done about it. Even more unforgivable, the system turned out to need a complete overhaul. I swear to god, HOAs exist only as support groups for bored bullies. I have no idea WTF these people think they're protecting because while they harass people over meaningless crap our parking lots are glaciating, balconies are sagging, tree branches are coming down right and left because they don't believe in pruning, and no one wants to point any of this out because they'll get charged with meaningless violations.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2010 23:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
43.6° C (110.5° F) at 6 in the evening, and they're saying it hasn't peaked yet.

/me is not a hot weather person. [blush] [Mad] [shake head] [cry baby] [Frown]

--------------------

Fibonacci
Maximum Newbie
Member # 29869

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2010 02:47      Profile for Fibonacci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
/me is not a hot weather person. [blush] [Mad] [shake head] [cry baby] [Frown]

Neither am I - anything above 20 °C is unbearable for me.
Unfortunately I live on the top floor of my building, and the roof is low, which means I feel twice the heat wave which is affecting Bogotá. Temperatures of 30 °C are not uncommon in the evening.

I've been in freezing weather (specifically Banff, Canada), and I can stand that much better than this heat wave. I'd love for it to be that cold around here!

Posts: 10 | From: Bogotá | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2010 02:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, while we suffer Hot August Nights, I would guess that you have Hot Feburary Nights. As I get older I notice that I tolerate cold less well and heat more easily.

____ Xanthine, That is why I like farm county NO: HOAs, CC&Rs or stupid land use rules

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture