homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Just say 'No'.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just say 'No'.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 01:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice in my career, I've had to dig my heels in and 'just say no' when my employer wanted me to write code that broke the law. It wasn't easy, on one occasion it basically led to my leaving that job.

This story makes me feel much better about doing so.
quote:
from tfa:
U.S. arrests and charges two Madoff programmers

Two computer programmers designed codes to falsify thousands of fake trade blotters and phantom records for swindler Bernard Madoff and took hush money to help keep the massive fraud going, U.S. authorities said.

The FBI arrested Jerome O'Hara, 46, and George Perez, 43, at their homes on Friday morning on criminal charges of conspiracy for falsifying books and records at both the broker-dealer and investment arms of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS) in New York.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 02:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, come next morning one still has to come face to face with ourselves. Over thirty years I often had battles with designers of equipment about the workers safety. I would not build an unsafe tool if there was a better solution that was safer for the user.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 13:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Over thirty years I often had battles with designers of equipment about the workers safety. I would not build an unsafe tool if there was a better solution that was safer for the user.

Oh, I've had to say 'No' there too.
I've done quite a bit of safety-critical stuff, controlling big machines, even a state electricity grid.
Management tend to be far less stroppy when the laws you're refusing to break are the laws of physics.

btw - the really amazing thing in TFA is not that these geeks could be bought, but how low their price was. For their crucial role in a $65 billion fraud, they got a 25% raise and a $60,000 bonus. And now they'll go to jail for a very long time.

Really.
Really.
Stupid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 14:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had to write anything dangerous or illegal, but I think I'd have to put my foot down if a client asked me to use the blink tag.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 15:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, I didn't care about the money, I cared about another human being and I was not going to build anything that was not the safest I could do. The biggest battle was about an overhead tool holder that the user would pull down, with the tool and its counter balance there was nearly a "C" weight of hardware over the operator, and the prints called for undercut on the shaft (Stress raiser) I would not do it. I would not like to think that, that stuff could fall onto some worker, they would be blind sided because they would be looking down at the time they are using the tool.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture