homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 32 years ago...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 32 years ago...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 07:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last naturally-occurring case of Smallpox was diagnosed.

Smallpox killed an estimated 500 million people in the 20th Century, its eradication is one of the greatest achievements of Science.

Today, I shall wear my vaccination scar with pride.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 08:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Thats about when my EX met her lover, strange happening that year.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 12:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my scar, I was one of the last recipients

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 15:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a scar. I'm too young. I think my husband does. I'll have to look. He was closing in on two when there was an outbreak in Belgrade. He doesn't remember it, of course, but his mother was pregnant with his sister at the time and because she was not vaccinated and couldn't be vaccinated, she wasn't allowed to leave the house during the time of martial law and quarantine.

I remember my parents showed me their scars once and told me what they were and why I'd never have one. It's a pretty incredible thing, really, that mankind was able to just remove one of its greatest scourges from the world.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 16:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Xanthine: It's a pretty incredible thing, really, that mankind was able to just remove one of its greatest scourges from the world

True. ...and, maybe, if malaria killed hundreds of thousands of white westerners every year we'ed have got rid of that by now as well.... [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 16:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
maybe, if malaria killed hundreds of thousands of white westerners every year we'ed have got rid of that by now as well.... [ohwell]

I think you're being a little unkind there Grummy.

By the time the WHO eradication program got going, very few white westerners were getting smallpox, as we were already vaccinated. The WHO programme was designed to save lives in poor countries, and it worked spectacularly well.

btw - it's difficult to see how a for-profit health-care 'industry' could have done it, chalk up one big win for evil socialized medicine.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2009 05:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - my comment was not intended as a dig at the WHO in any way - their achievements are marvellous. It was more of a comment about the levels of apathy and lack of perspective in the west. For example, a couple of hundred British deaths is enough to keep Swine Flu in the news for months, even when Seasonal Flu will kill several thousand Brits this winter. Similarly, western news will report on famine and war in the developing world whilst ignoring what could be done to combat disease. Maybe the WHO should publicise its work more??

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 27, 2009 07:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a scar.

(Q. Why did they have to use that big scar-making gun thing to vaccinate me? Couldn't they just give me a needle? Now I'll never be in shirtless movies. ) [Frown] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2009 08:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just how the smallpox vaccine is done Snaggy. Jenner's method worked so well no one bothered with doing much to improve it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2009 08:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born in 1966, wonder why I didn't get one.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2009 15:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Bibo, with your birth date unless your parents took you out of North America you would not have had a chance of getting infected. While I was in the Service one of the other Hospital Corpsmen ran the 'Shot Clinic" he had all of the Currant rules for Exiting and Returning to North America. I worded it to say North America because the Canadian rules were almost the same as the USA.

____ So your parents taking you up North to Canada was not the same as crossing the ponds.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HongKongMusic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 19785

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 27, 2009 16:00      Profile for HongKongMusic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My smallpox shot was done on the inside of my arm. My mother said it was a major pain to keep it healing, but the end result is no visible scar! javascript:void(0)
Posts: 4 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture