homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Be part of the greatest story ever told!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Be part of the greatest story ever told!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2009 16:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean Star Wars of course!

Only 90, no 89 slots left as I post this. What a fun project!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2009 13:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like this idea..but..

I really don't like Star Wars! I realise that this may sound like heresy to some GCers but it's true - I just don't get it.

If they had chosen The Wicker Man for the project I would definitely sign up, although some of the scenes might be a bit...errr... tricky. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 09, 2009 00:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

I really don't like Star Wars! I realise that this may sound like heresy to some GCers but it's true - I just don't get it.

Hmmm... Grumm that goes beyond heresy, and strikes at our core beliefs here. Not sure what to say Grumm, but I'm shocked... shocked... [shake head]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 07:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I really like this idea..but..

I really don't like Star Wars!

Persecute the non-believer! No, wait -- he's right -- it's poo. Mind you, 99% of sci-fi is poo (along with bloody CSI and hospital dramas... )

Have I just self-revoked my GC license? [Frown]

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 07:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99% of everything is crap. Why should sci-fi be any different?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 08:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fairness to the Star Wars films, I should add that I am not totally dismissing them.

The bit with the Princess in the bikini.......

I get that [evil]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 11:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
99% of everything is crap. Why should sci-fi be any different?

Steen, I believe that or something very close to it is from one of Vonnegut's novels, when talking about Kilgour Trout, the pulp science fiction author he created, and justifying his love of the genre. Can't find the exact quote though....

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 13:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T'was Theodore Sturgeon who said it at a talk of some sort (which one is the subject of debate). It was quoted so often that it became known as Sturgeon's Law despite the fact that there already was a Sturgeon's Law.

Vonnegut based Kilgore Trout on Sturgeon (trout, sturgeon... geddit? hah), so it's entirely probable that he had the character say something similar, though I don't recall a specific instance of it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 15:07      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as everyone's agreed that Firefly is part of the 1%, we'll all get along fine.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture